6.0 Turbo Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Turbo Problems

Ive got an 04 6.0 and the turbo is kicking in and out while under a load at times and other times it wont kick in at all. It already has a reman turbo on it (installed before i bought truck). Is it possible to just buy the actuator for it?? If so where would i be able to get one. Thanks for looking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

First thing you want to check is the EBP. Its located on d/s at valve cover height and on a stainless steel tube that goes down to the exhaust manifold. Pull the wire and then the ebp sensor, at this point you can start the truck and see if you are getting a good flow of exhaust out of the tubing.
Best to pull the tubing and just clean it out with a coat hanger or like and then blow out with compressed air. Reinstall and reconnect wire.
The tubing plugs up with soot and this is where the turbo is adjusted via PCM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have never seen a problem with an EBP sensor on a 6.0. What I see more of is coked up turbos and worn unison rings. I good cleaning and a new unison usually fixes the problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Ok guys here's an update of what I found. I found the plug going to the actuator had the pins moving back and forth real bad. Bought a new pig tail from international and installed it. There was no change. I don't think that it's the ebp considering the sensor is only 6 months old cause when I did studs I accidentally broke the plastic off on it. I noticed the turbo will kick in if you run the RPMS real high it will boost up and stay as long as the engines running fast. So what do you think it could be now.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Sounds like the turbo needs to be cleaned and new unison ring.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM

When my unison ring was shot my turbo would burp on and off while under load. I would try what these guys said and just clean it and change out the ring.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to freebass
I too have a turbo issue I believe. Its been coming on for the last 10-20,000 miles getting more pronounced. I run about 5,000 miles a week pulling 15,000# (average) RV's around the country so dont let the mileage grab you. I bought the truck @ 56k miles and went immediately into the catastrophic EGR Cooler / Oil Cooler failures up to 143k miles where I thereafter installed a "Custom Diesel" EGR Delete with a new oil cooler as well as a Coolant Bypass filtration system. (All this was bought as a kit all inclusive for around $750). Once I got all those installed I did a coolant system distilled water flush for two days & 50 gallons as recommended on this site by several others, then went with a red 300,000+ mile silicon free coolant. I had an "Actron OBD-II Scanner for deleting the in dash code, but this would not help me monitor water and oil temps needed to track an oil cooler issue. I then got a Scan Guage-II which allows for system specific programming. I am now at 210,000 miles and maintain 4-7 degrees temperature seperation with the exception of long uphill pulls that at times will exceed the 15 degree caution, but this is short lived.
Absolutely awesome with virtually no issue other than Injector Spool Valves and the cost of getting them diagnosed. (FORD cant seem do do it right nor stand by their incorrect diagnosis or return payment for the same) so Ive been looking into software to handle that myself.
03-07 Ford 6.0 Complete EGR Delete Kit with Oil Cooler and Coolant Filtration System
Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge
But back to the current issue. I bought the truck with a rebuilt Turbo, but have slowly been getting an increase in noise that sounds and I mean absolutely like a power steering pump with exception to turning the wheel to increase the groan. The noise has been there for 40-75k miles but gaining ever so little day by day.
What would be recommended here and yes, it is the turbo, not the power steering pump. Determined by a doctors heart stethoscope.
P.S. I put new Nitto All Terrain Grapplers on about the same time I did the delete. Im putting on another set of Grapplers now.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM

I know this is a little late on the reply back. I found the problem. I had replace the EMP with one from NAPA and it was only a couple months old. I took a gamble and replaced in with a factory one from International, and that fixed every boost problem it had. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.