NOT GOOD!!! HELP :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NOT GOOD!!! HELP :(

hey guys, so I have a stock 03 and I just returned back from a business trip and went to drive my truck the 200 miles home from the airport and it started normal, no smoke or anything, once engine got to temp the thing came alive like it was tuned. rolling coals, and quick boost and power and 20 mpg on the liar guage. I knew something wasnt right but I was like I said 200 miles from home and there were no codes so I tried to take it easy on it and just get it home. when I had to stopped for fuel at about a quarter tank and restarted it took a 180 - started hard, white smoke, no power, low boost, and horrible MPG. continued to try and limp it home still no codes. until I went through one town and as soon as I hit highway speed on the other side it went into a death shake and soon as it upshifted to cruising speed. let off and was able to limp it to town as long as I was above 17-1800 RPM. coming into town it started white smoking like crazy!!! straight mosquito fogger style. I dont know where to even start here guys, Im really hoping I didnt melt a piston but i fear the worst. for ****s and giggles I started it this morning and it started fine, with limited white smoke. PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site!Do you have a monitor on the truck? And if so what kinda delta temps have you been seeing?
(Im going out on a limb here cause Im learning as well) But here is my guess, this aint good but it can be fixed....tell the kids Christmas is gonna be tight!...The white smoke is coolant. Im gonna guess you got either blown head gaskets or a blowing EGR. I don't understand why the truck would run like "it was tuned" for a bit and the go into a death shake.
Now don't worry those with more knowledge will be along soon and probably prove me wrong (its happened before Im fine with it). Like I said Im scratchin my head about the runnin better for a bit thing.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no monitor on the truck. I had my buddy come follow me home just in worst case scenario and while following me he said that it was a straight diesel smell in the smoke, didnt notice any coolant smell. when I got it home also noticed unburnt diesel coming from exhaust. in liquid form.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

you got a cracked nozzle on an injector by the sounds of it , its not head gaskets , but if you keep driving it , it will if not already burn a piston up
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Injectors...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

appreciate it guys, I was leaning towards injectors, however not ideal better than a whole new engine. just didnt think a injector could make run quality so poor, and still a little confused on why it ran so good at first.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM

so that would explain his statement that it ran like it was "tuned" because it was getting a boat load of fuel! And that's why he had to run over 17-1800 so the truck was runnin hard enuff to burn the boat load of fuel.....am I the only one havin a Matlock moment here?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
so that would explain his statement that it ran like it was "tuned" because it was getting a boat load of fuel! And that's why he had to run over 17-1800 so the truck was runnin hard enuff to burn the boat load of fuel.....am I the only one havin a Matlock moment here?
ding ding ding , you are the winner
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I figured if I was here long enough we could get to a matlock momment. now I wish it fit in my garage door to start digging into it...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM

The white smoke threw me off but I guess the work smoke was the hint here. Anti-freeze don't make smoke...it makes steam! ( Id like to thank the public education system for all of it's hard work it put in to me !!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.