Loss of power on top end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Loss of power on top end

Hey guys, long time no post.

I'm trying to help my cousin with his 2003 6.0. He has deletes and a straight pipe. He brought it to a mechanic to fix a oil in water problem. They did the deletes and said it was good. One day later there was still oil in the water. The radiator was bad come to find out so they install a new one. Cousin leaves, truck pukes transmission fluid due tk the lines still being loose. A few days later the truck starts missing, mechanic says bad injector so they change one. A few days later it is missing again, mechanic sees the oil my cousin points out and realized tbey didn't tighten the hp oil pump......tighten, no miss. A few months later my cousin is coming back with a 24' boat from Florida and the y-pipe blows off......you guessed it, they didn't tighten it. My cousin calls the mechanic, drops the truck off and the mechanic said he has never saw that before. Picks the truck up and it is still like the y-pipe is off. Mechanic takes a look and says the turbo is shot. Well, this is where my cousin cut ties. The only reason he brought it back all those times is so the mechanic would have to fix it for free. My cousin is by means no dummy, he's just always at work.

So, my cousin and I tear into it, this is what we done:
Pulled the turbo and polished all the vgt parts in the exhaust housing
Fixed the y-pipe because the mechanic used a cut off wheel to remove all the bolts and damaged the flanges
Installed a new gasket on the passenger side down pipe on the y-pipe
Did a boost leak check with some plugs I built
Tightened up everything they touched
Cleaned the EBP sensor
Unplugged the solenoid on the turbo (solenoid is brand new) and the turbo made no boost, we did that mostly to check the wiring harness

So, no exhaust leaks or boost leaks at this point. We don't have a device to check codes at this point but no codes were displayed during all of this. That will be checked by tomorrow. We are both stumped at this point. We have both been searching online and we have read in to it too much I believe. Help....lol.

For those of you that might recognize me, I am Broke Down from Cummins Forum .com. I used to be admin there and have met a lot of good people from this site. Thanks for reading the long boring post.

Duke

Sorry for any grammar errors....haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump......
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd check the head gaskets. Do a degas bottle pressure check.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope that isn't the case...lol
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have an EGR delete? Loss of power on the top end may be your PCM limiting you due to something like high oil temperature because of a plugged oil cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The EGR is deleted. We didn't even think about that, thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good chance it's the oil cooler because if you still had the EGR system you would be blowing coolant out your degas bottle because there is next to no coolant going thru the EGR cooler so it will flash boil and over pressure the cap but with no EGR system there is no warning that your oil cooler is plugging off which is why real gauges on a modded truck are so very important.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my big bulletproof job left me with reduced top end power also, it ended up being a worn through spot on the MAP hose. I guess if you're reading pressures and find them correct, that wouldn't be it though. What do you consider correct?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We replace the MAF and it seems like it we can give it more throttle before the issue starts. The computer showed a MAF code over and over after we erased it so that lead us to change it. We will check the tube next.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for all the input. We found the problem and fixed it today. There was a broken wire on the MAF harness. The wire was located in the #21pin on the PCM harness closest to the cab. We wired a new connector in from Ford and it's running great. The added time fixing all the other issues paid off, the truck is much more responsive and runs a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.