Studded/deleted truck. Coolant system pressure creeps up with boost. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Studded/deleted truck. Coolant system pressure creeps up with boost.

As the title states, 2006 F250 with 101K has some upsetting test results. Truck had studs when I purchased it but had the EGR still so I deleted that plus the other "must haves" such as new oil cooler, coolant filter, EC-1 ELC coolant. No issues at all. She runs hard and runs well.

I found the original pressure gauge with hose and T fitting that I used to test it when I purchased it 6 months ago in the garage today. Just for shiggles, I installed it to see what the results are and wouldn't you know it... the coolant pressure creeps up with boost. In a 55-90mph pull I can increase the coolant pressure by 2-3psi. Seems to stop around 13-15ish but will fall to 10-12 in time. No burping and no coolant loss.

Here's more detail...

Coolant started at 184 degrees and 0 psi.

Driving normal in town 190 degrees and 2-3psi

Normal pace on the interstate 3-4psi

First pull was 30psi in OD at 1800rpm. Jumped to 6psi

Did it again and repeated the results 6psi-8psi

WOT shifting through gears would jump roughly another 2psi every time until 15psi.

This was over a 30 minute duration.

With that, I'm reasonably sure I'll need to do head gaskets and am looking closely for other symptoms to show (but haven't yet). If those with more experience than I could offer their 2 cents worth, I can probably come up with a solid game plan.

Option A- Take it to Monticello Ford. They seem to go above and beyond to keep a Ford customer from purchasing a Dodge or Chevy. I believe they have a machine shop verify specs on new heads, also. This will cost me the most, I believe.

Option B- Do it myself in the driveway. I've rebuilt many high performance gas engines but not a diesel. Who do you recommend for cylinder head service? I assume costs would be head work, new gaskets, and probably new studs (or are studs reusable?)

Thanks guys. Can't wait to tell the wife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Starting to dribble out of the degas cap. Time for studs.... again.

Option C- Find a competent diesel shop to bullet proof it.

Option D- Switch brands and walk away from this 6.0L.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Oh, and one quick question. If you experienced repeat failure, would you re-use the studs or order new?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_gofast View Post
Oh, and one quick question. If you experienced repeat failure, would you re-use the studs or order new?
reuse studs they are fine. what gaskets did you use?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another thing to consider, if the studs were installed before you purchased the truck you wouldn't know how good of a job was done. The PO may not have had the heads decked, or magnafluxed. There could be a crack that the PO didn't know about. So if you start the tear down, don't go into it assuming the heads are good and reuseable.

If the PO did have the heads machined, and they are warped again, you may not be able to take any more off of them.

If they are cracked, you're looking at some pretty big money to replace them as well. I'm doing this job now and I found that replacement head options were:
1. $500 each reman'ed locally
2. $750 for a pair from Super Duty Trucks, LLC (Non-reman'ed)
3. $1000 each from Tousley (or your local ford dealer if they will price match)

With all of that said, the decisions you have to make now is:
A. What is your truck worth? Can you get what you paid for it back?
B. If not, what is cheaper, a $1 - 3000 fix, or a replacement truck?

If you do get a replacement truck, that doesn't mean it won't have its own problems. All vehicles have their weak points.

Things to consider...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

Spent a good 45 minutes with a gentleman named "jeff" at Monticello Ford. He owns and works exclusively on diesels. He even ENDORSED my red coolant and EGR delete! haha. He is going to run my VIN on Friday to see if the heads were previously done by Ford. If Ford did do the original work, he will work it out with FMC to get this done under a "warranty".

We both agree that the failure is a result of sub-par install or aftermarket gaskets. But what made me the happiest is he sends all the heads out to T&B performance. Tom and Brenda have built some healthy motors for me. I watched these guys build a twin turbo motor that boiled the engine dyno! They also build a share of the diesel truck and unlimited diesel tractor engines. https://www.facebook.com/pages/TBz-R...41267315899754 So I really do trust these guys with parts.

Jeff claims to only have one 6.0L come back after head work. The truck had put about 35K on since the gaskets/studs install and started building coolant pressure. Turned out to be an injector cup.

He estimates no more than $3000 if the ARPs aren't stretched and no egr. They did my Dad's 6.0L for $3500 and he's used that every day for the last 3 years.... and their parts prices are the same or a little under Tousley Ford. Guys I think their is still hope for the dealerships! lol
Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

And for comparison, I went to my local Ford Dealership (Gordie Boucher) for a quote. The tech was snippy from the beginning when I asked him who does the head work. He told me only one set of heads has ever needed machining and that was because the guy ran a chip and raced it. I asked what I could expect to pay and he told me (not joking) $6000 without machining 7-8K with! I told him I'd buy a new motor first. How does one dealership charge twice what another one 30 miles away does? Interesting....
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

The second shop does not want to work on your truck, so.....The price jumps
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

True true.

All the more reason to stay away. I would love to tackle this myself but I simply don't have the time right now. I have a race planned in 3 weeks and in the beginning of august will be pulling the camper quite some distance. I also tend to buy things I shouldn't. If I had it apart those stock injectors would just beg me for an upgrade.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus_hauler View Post
1. $500 each reman'ed locally
2. $750 for a pair from Super Duty Trucks, LLC (Non-reman'ed)
3. $1000 each from Tousley (or your local ford dealer if they will price match)

Things to consider...
Thanks Gus. I would feel better with machined/blueprinted seasoned heads than brand new unverified heads.

I really do like the truck. Maybe in a few years the 6.4L engines will come down in price and become more available... wonder what it takes to swap one in. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.