Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How much/ How hard is it to replace head gasket in a 07 6.0?

19K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  6pt0powerstroke 
#1 ·
Ive been looking for a powerstroke on craigslist for about 4-5 months now with no luck or deals, but this 07 showed up, the guy wants 5500 for it, the only thing it needs is a head gasket otherwise it runs good, and i figured if i could do it myself, 700 bucks for parts, and 60 or so hours, but i only know basic mechanics, and have no idea how hard it would be, otherwise i heard parts and labor would be around 4000 bucks, but 5500 with 4000 in parts and labor is 9500 which is pretty cheap for a 07 powerstroke, but im not sure what else could be wrong with it, he says its just a head gasket, heres the ad by the way. 2007 Ford F250 Diesel

#3 ·
but i only know basic mechanics, and have no idea how hard it would be, [/url]
with that quote i would stay away, head gaskets do not just blow out. couple examples, the engine was over heated and heads are now warp'ed, or it was programed and lifted the heads. sure i open my self up to someone arguing my point. but i would not gamble $5500.00 of my own money that it is just couple gaskets.

good luck on your choice...

my personnel advice get a 7.3l , as i have a 2007 6.0L and it will be forsale in 2-3 months ...once it is fully paid off! and i will be buying a 7.3L

#4 ·
I tend to agree. There are several other issues that might need addressed while it is apart. Thats a lot of money to spend and a lot of time involved to miss something else. Not knocking anyone's mechanical ability here but the 6.0 really needs to be repaired by someone familiar with it. With all of the upgrades it is a good engine. It just costs a lot to do it.

#10 ·
After having just completed head gaskets on my 6.0, I cannot see any reason what so ever to lift the cab. Not saying its not convenient to lift it, but how many people without a shop can? I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it was, just by the general consensus of most people. Everyone seems to have a friend who's cousins neighbor says it cannot be done cab on. I thought the whole job was very easy. A lot of people make it out to be a bigger job than it is. Ill do them all day long, cab on, for half the money some of these shops charge!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Forgot the pic
You forgot the zoom'ed in photo of the one wiring plug that was forgot to be unplugged and now needs to be butt connected back together :hehe:

#8 ·
You don't have to pull the cab to do head gaskets. Go look in the 6.0 general section and there are plenty of stickies of guys like me doing them in cab in our driveway/garage. It's not hard to do at all. But if I was to buy it I would verify that it needed head gaskets first as well as check it out thoroughly to make sure there aren't any underlying issues at hand.

#16 ·
Right! When I did my head/gaskets job, I spent $2,500. That was OEM gaskets, head job, glow plugs, glow plug harness, belt, fluids, filters, oil cooler, egr delete, and the plastic fulcrums in the rocker box (can't remember off the top of my head what they are called.) I'm sure I missed a few things too. I didn't have to buy studs which are around another 400...so depending where you order parts from and what not, you may not be too far off on your estimate. He say's she just needs gaskets...someone previously stated about the heads being warped, or maybe even cracked...question is, how much are you willing to put into this truck to get her going the way she needs to be. You can easily be over the 10,000 mark on this truck in repairs + purchase price if you aren't careful. IMO, if the truck still interests you, I would have it checked by a reputable mechanic that knows 6.0's...or wait a bit longer for "the one." There ya have it, my .02!

#17 ·
Really he could buy this truck and drop in a new long block for $10,000 total (including purchase price) so either way I say buy it. Keep in mind that the $10,000 would be if be does the labor himself.

#18 ·
In that sense, yeah I could agree. OP mentioned he's seen the threads of the re-builds, heck, that's how I did mine, thanks to that guy ^^^! Putting a new long block wasn't extremely difficult. At the end of the day, I would suppose it would be how much your budget could/would allow for repairs. Up to you there OP, rest assured though, if you do, there are plenty of people here to help you along the way! Good luck!

#19 ·
Even if it is just the head gaskets, You need to have the heads checked, machined, and a valve job including valve guides and seals done if it's got 140K miles on it. $4,895.00 will get you a new reman long block with all new bearings, lifters, push rods, pistons, rings, assembled with ARP Head Studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.