03 6.0l Excursion Left me Stranded and then??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0l Excursion Left me Stranded and then???

Yesterday I was driving my X and was slowing down for a red light, right before stop it turned to green so I went to press the pedal and it started to idle very rough, then no pedal response, slowed to a stop and then nothing. No start, not even trying. Called tow truck brought it home.

I feel a need to give a little background. I live in Austin,TX and yesterday it was 106 degrees (don't know if this has anything to do with it) also I noticed that if I wasn't moving as 65 the AC would blow warmer.

I went out last night at 12:30 a.m. (approximately 7 hours after it died) and it acted like it kind of wanted to start but wouldn't catch. Pulled codes and found open cam and crank sensor circuits (figured that was because it wasn't starting) So I came in here got on powerstroke and started thread searching. Figured I would put off diagnostics till today.

Fast forward to this morning, got back from church (now 18 hrs. after stranding me) went out put key in, turned on and fired right up, pulled it in the driveway and didn't hesitate one bit.

I am very nervous to drive the truck right now because at a $125.00 a tow or the potential damage I could do to engine. Is there anything that would come to mind to troubleshoot or inspect as to what caused this? Could it be the oil broke down due to the external temperature? I am at a complete loss here? I know I need to get a Edge CTS and Autoenginuity and I plan to just do not have a spare $1200.00 laying around right now, that is the Christmas list. So any help is truly appreciated, I know my way around the 7.3 but these 6.0 are a new animal to me so if you say HPOP, IHOP, ICP I have no idea what these are and where they are located, so please dumb it down. One last thing, the PO took very good care of the truck and has extensive service records, the truck has 142k on odometer.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Run in to my fist!

Sounds like you've got a HPO leak opening up when warm. Cheapest way to go if you dont have a lot of spare cash laying around is, get yourself a Scangauge II for about $150.00, and at least pull the DTC's and be able to check ICP when it wont start
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was given a superchips when I bought the truck. It says that it will pull codes. It is what I used to pull the cam and crank codes. So the sensor you are referring to would leak at EXTREME heat. I mean it has been warm but yesterday was the first day I have driven it in triple digits since I owned it.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Run in to my fist!

Its not that he sensor itself would leak... Im saying that the Injection Pressure or High pressure oil circuit has developed a leak when Hot, amd will cause hot stalling and hot no starts. Although the Sensor itself could be bad... Check the sensor and pigtail for oil saturation. Any sign of oil on the sensor means it is bad
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Michael,

Thanks for the help. Will check it when it cools down outside (probably sometime in late December!). If it is the HPOP, what does a new one run?

Thanks again,
John
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you need to get the codes pulled while there still stored sperchips may read some but a scanner like A/E will get more in depth

Last edited by ZMANN; 06-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Run in to my fist!

It may not necessarily be the HPOP. could be a standpipe o-ring, injector o-ring, somethin like that. Air test the HPO system, when its aired up, remove the oil filter cap and listen for gurgling back through the filter housing. If it does, that is a good indicator it is the pump. There are many write ups on this procedure. I dont know what the superchip is capable of showing you, but the Scangauge II can show you what the ICP, and IPR are doin which is a great tool for diagnosing a HPO problem. There are some great videos on youtube by Dieseltechron on this
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Run in to my fist!

If it turns out to be a pump, spend a couple extra bucks and get yourself the adrenaline pump from Dieselsite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.