Oil overheating, coolant cool but low? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil overheating, coolant cool but low?

So I'm sitting in a parking lot about half way to work. On the way, I saw my Edge showing oil temps at about 220 while coolant was around 195... yikes. So I backed off to see if there would be any change. Coolant temps stayed the same but oil kept climbing to 255. I was wondering if maybe my coolant sensor was going bad cause that didn't make much sense to me.

I took the next exit and hit the first parking lot. When I popped the hood I was met with a bit of smoke and rhe smell of melting plastic and coolant I could see the shrouding over a plug on the front pass side of the engine kinda steaming (spoiler alert from post #3 - it was getting a nice hot coolant bath).

My coolant degass bottle was full before the weekend... now its bone dry! Yet no coolant in the bay, safe a little spray around previously mentioned plug (spoiler: hose blew in that area)... no codes either. Been waiting about an hour for it to cool down and looking for some water.

So head gasket? Egr? Cooler? Whats most likely and how should I diagnose?

Should I try to limp it home?

Thanks!

Last edited by yinzer; 06-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Just filled it back up with water. The heater(?) hose on the right (pass) side of the alternator came off. How the hell did that happen?

Last edited by yinzer; 06-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM

I was able to limp it back home. EOT never got about 220, so thats an improvement. I did get a good bit of white smoke out the tailpipe at low speed/idle Looks like I might get to bulletproof, at least

Still trying to figure out what happened. The hose that popped off looks like it's the water pump outlet hose that runs into the heater core. No idea how/why it came off, as it was a pain to get back on ... pretty snug. The hose clamp still had nice grip marks where it was, and it was where it should have been. I'm guessing it blew off due to pressure? Maybe a clog somewhere in the coolant system? Does that happen in these motors?

I can't find any good coolant flow diagrams, but the ones I've seen suggest that heater core is an independent parallel coolant circuit. That is, if pressure built up in that system, it would have to be due to a heater core blockage? That heater wasn't on, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Would it be possible for a clogged oil cooler to cause the coolant hose going to the heater core to build pressure? I guess it's all one system, so if that's the weakest link...

Last edited by yinzer; 06-28-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM

So the big question is: what do I do now? I've been doing some reading, and its unclear as to whether its a busted EGR cooler, or a blown head gasket. Whats the easiest way to find out? I'm sure pulling the EGR is a lot easier than pulling the head, but if there's an even easier method, I'm all ears.

BTW, I also got a cyl #2 contribution code on the way home right after a little stutter. No CELs, but the code was there. Best I can tell, that might be due to a gasket or EGR failuer.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pull your egr valve out if it is wet with coolant inside your intake manifold your egr cooler has ruptured. If the delta are high replace the oil cooler. Might as well delete the egr cooler while in there. If you have a bubling sound coming from your degas bottle when the engine is running its the head gasket might even have to put a load in the engine to hear it. BPD has a good video on diagnosing the head gasket with a pressure gauge on you tube.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM

thanks, I'll give it a shot as soon as it stops raining. Been checking out videos the past few hours and that was pretty much my game plan

How worried should I be about the engine oil getting past 255*? I'm def gonna be changing it before running the truck any more (sucks, only has like 2k miles on it), but should I be worried about other residual damage?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Run in to my fist!

The heater core is an independent parallel circuit as you suspected. It sounds like the cooling system overpressurized, possibly from a blown head gasket. Have you noticed recently, whether it was using coolant? As for the oil hetting to 255*, damn thats hot, but the engine should have defueled at 250* and you should have noticed a lack of power. If it is a blown headgasket, determined with the gauge test, then I would change the oil anyway when the HG'S are done, with studs, and an EGR delete. Good luck
Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Yea, I did notice a lack of power. Once I saw the temps spike, as mentioned, I backed off to about 50mph on the freeway, which didn't ask much from the engine. When I started wondering if the readings were right or a bad temp sender, I tried adding a little more throttle and got nothing. That's when I pulled over.

I didn't noticed any loss of coolant. I checked within the last week and the degas bottle was reading at full. I filled it after letting it cool back down today, again to the full mark. I then drove about 2.5mi to an auto parts store, where I stopped to check again. By the time I got there, the degas was completely empty again (but temps are ok). I figure that this might have been due to the thermostat opening and increasing the volume a bit?

Not sure on that... either way, I bought some cheap-o coolant to top back off. It took about 3/4 of a gallon. I then cruised back home, keeping a close eye on my temps. It was about 15miles, and temps were reasonable. I did get a lot of white smoke at first on my way to the highway, but I couldn't see it over ~30mph. After I exited, I didn't notice any more white smoke. When I got home, I checked the coolant level again. It's no longer at full, but the degas bottle isn't completely empty. Is about 2" below the low marking.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Run in to my fist!

Have you done the pressure test? If your pressure test is normal, delete the EGR, and change your oil cooler while your under there. Install a coolant filter and switch to a Diesel rated ELC
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Not yet, I'll have to put together a tester. Anyone know off the top of their head the ID of the degas bottle lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.