Cooling Fan Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cooling Fan Question

My truck has been running hotter than normal when towing. ECT has reached 225 and EOT has reached 235. I've tried a lot of different things but no luck yet and I was wondering about the fan. I know it takes a few different things into account to determine fan speed but generally speaking I will start to hear it wind up around 216 to 218 ECT. It will run for 5 seconds or less and then wind back down. This doesn't really seem to lower the temps, just stalls them for a bit. The temps continue to climb until ECT levels off at 225 and EOT levels off at 235. The whole time the fan is cycling on for a few seconds and then back off. After a minute or so it will cycle back on again. High temps aside, does anyone else's fan sound like this? It seems to me it should come on and stay on for a while until the thing cools off. It never loses a drop of coolant.

The truck is a stock early 04 w/ Edge Insight and I've already tried;

Reverse Flush
Restore/Restore Plus Flush
Switched to ELC
Added coolant filter
Replaced the thermostat
Replaced the oil cooler
Replaced the EGR cooler
Checked radiator for obstructions in the fins
Checked water pump for impeller damage

I thought maybe I'd try throwing a fan clutch at it and see what happens so any insight into what others hear their fan doing would be great. I'm also open to any other thoughts anyone may have since I'm about out of ideas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You should test your fan clutch with a broom! BROOM/FAN TEST- still makes me laugh!

Have you checked your fan wiring harness? They are know to cause problems and is an easy fix. Next time this is happening I would try and pull over and wiggle the wires around to see if you can keep the fan on that way.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2005 F250 King Ranch diesel with over 380,000 miles, original engine, my air condition stops cooling when stuck at idle for 15 minutes or so, gets cold again when moving and AC turned off for 5 minutes. Fan comes on for maybe a minute or less. I was gonna put a fan clutch on, but don't want to start just throwing parts at it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Earl
Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check out the manual fan switch. Probably not the 100% cure for the problem but it will give you control over the fan if needed.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, thanks, I'll try that. The temp needle shows very little movement, I can set the bully dog guage to show temp, what should the normal temp be?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Check out the stickie-monitoring the 6.0, great read and full of info. As far as temp, mine runs from 188-205 depending on the temp's
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

what is the "stickie-monitoring"?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM

I was seeing some high temps this past weekend on the trip home from Maine pulling a small 5X8 enclosed with a range, water heater, tools, and luggage in it, and three rather large Americans in the truck, yes, that includes myself. Low 90s ambient and I was seeing 212*-215* on the ECT and 215*-220* on the EOT. Any idle time, it would quickly return to normal, but as soon as I would hit highway, it would go right back to those temps. I can however report that Coolant pressure, was always below 10 PSI. I like you suspect these temps are too high for such a light load, and my first suspect is the fan clutch wiring. So as soon as I get a chance to look at it, thats where I'm headed
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM

P.S. Sticky: monitoring the 6.0....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM

OK, I tried the broom test (unless it's actually a Powerstroke.org initiation ritual just to see who will actually do it in which case I did NOT do the broom test)! With the engine at operating temp and at idle I can easily stop the fan just like ljones video. At idle with the A/C on, same results. High idle on but no A/C, same results. High idle on and A/C on, the fan is noticeably louder and I can't stop it. Now for the $64,000 question..... What does this mean? Should the clutch engage anytime the A/C is on? Haven't had a chance to remove the shroud and look at the fan wiring yet but it's on my list for tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.