6.0 will not start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 will not start!

Ok so, early this year I purchased a 2005 Superduty with a 6.0. When I bought it, the motor started quickly at any temperature. Since then the truck has required more and more cranking time to fire off, especially when at operating temperature. Eventually, I was stranded when it wouldn't start back up when hot.

So I took action, I heard that the STC fitting breaks and the Dummy plugs/Standpipes leak. I replaced both, expecting for the truck to be fixed but of course it wasn't. After that the truck just sat for awhile because it wouldn't start regardless of the temperature, unless I used the spray.

I changed the oil from wintertime 5W-40 Rotella T6 to summertime 15w-40 Rotella T. The new oil helped the engine start when it was dead cold, after 20+ seconds of cranking. This lead me to believe that the hpop was weak/dead so I did some tests. I did the air leak test on high pressure system, and that checked out. The screen on the IPR valve was clean too. Also I have base oil pressure from the lpop when cranking.

So today I replaced the hpop, and when I got back from a short drive after the installation it wouldn't start back up. So guys, can you help me? I've heard its possible for there to be air in the system still, and that's what I'm hoping is it.

Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

you need to check a few things :

ICP make sure it at 500 psi when trying to start or it wont.

ipr- make sure its above 15% and under 85% or it wont start. ipr during normal driving is mid 20's.

ficm volts and ficm sync. is your ficm at 56 volts does your ficm synch

does the truck do the 1. injector pre-cycle, 2. does the fuel pump continue to pump after the injector pre cycle for a few seconds

fuel filter in engine bay getting full?

batteries?

mine were good one day then bam next my truck was acting crazy because batteries were at 8.8 v
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

My FICM is at 48v with the key on and while cranking, I don't know how to check the ficm sync though. That does remind me of something, a while ago the computer threw a cam and crank position sensor code.

Everything else is working as it should ie. fuel pump, batteries, etc.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me too.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same exact problem done it all I can think of, it run great and the only way I get it to start is with a little spray of ether no DTC"s going to try a GP sensor next but I dont think that is what it is....... 350-6.0-05
Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM

I hear ya Louie. I've been thinking I might just take it to the dealer to see if they can diagnose it for me, that way I won't keep throwing parts at it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

I wouldn't advise the dealer unless you know the tech is a ford 6.0 mastertech... Try and find someone that is a ford guy that others have taken their 6.0's. a cam sensor can cause a no start as well.

do you have a scangauge or edge cs/ cts? you can see if your icp and ipr are with in spec to see if you have a hi-pressure oil leak or bad pump.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 AM

[QUOTE=JustinOOO9;5748714]I wouldn't advise the dealer unless you know the tech is a ford 6.0 mastertech... Try and find someone that is a ford guy that others have taken their 6.0's.
QUOTE]
Like he says
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

what gauge do you have? scan gauge 2 or edge cs/ cts insight?

both can check ficm sync it will be an available PID to select.

have you done the air pressure tests on the hpop system?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't know how to check the ficm sync though. That does remind me of something, a while ago the computer threw a cam and crank position sensor code.
Depending on your monitor it will show individual status or SYNC status. CKP will usually show unstable RPM. If it seems good, CMP is the probably cause. The sensor corrodes internally causing a bad signal and no info to SYNC, and no FICM signal to fuel the injectors. Using any spray can be catastrophic to the engine in short order, but it can spin the engine fast enough to get a good signal for the start. In a worst case, the internal tone marker is damaged, which requires extensive work to fix. Determine the sensor status with SYNC and go from there.

I would like you to give us some actual numbers from the ICP and IPR during start attempts. Even though you worked on it, there is no indication you actually succeeded in your repair attempt.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 06-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

I have run my truck for a couple of months puting over 25.000 miles with this problem,( Is my bread winner) I have done alot I even took it in for an diagnostic test but they came back telling that their computer was malfunctioning when they put it in my truck, but still they sold me a new IPR but that was not it, will change the oil back to 15-40 and run it until I find out what is, I have spend lots $$$$$ and burn out with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.