where to start?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
where to start?!

Havent posted for a while, but.. Bought a new truck last week. 04 6.0 auto, 160kms. Lifted, exhaust, voilant intake. The truck has an issue with rough idle and white smoke on startup. Smells like diesel heavy, sounds like its missing a bit. When it warms up it seems to go away, the truck has lots of power all the way through rpms. Deltas are really close, at most I have seen a 13 degree difference very briefly. 4 injectors were replaced at the dealership, and a used computer was put in. (Apparently the edge cs killed it) so I had the dealership flash the pcm, no change. Other issue is that sometimes it takes forever to spool, at least thats what it feels like, dead pedal kind of, hoping the issues are related. Pretty much never can you romp on it and take off, my 7.3 will spin the 37's if I did that. This one is like 2-5 seconds. A process of elimination would be great, do I need to buy a scangauge? Been wanting one for a while now.. Also.. the previous owner claimed there was an egr delete kit in the truck. Not that I seen so I ordered one. Then I find out they welded a washer in the egr cooler?? I should put the kit in or is this ok? thanks for all the help in advance, always got great help with the 7.3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Have you changed your fuel filters, both: frame and engine mounted one? You can take off the turbo and clean it, be sure to mark the band clamp for re-assembly though.

Also you can run some biodiesel through the system to clean it and change your filters afterwards. and have you checked your ficm and battery volts?

mine had a no start and the icp/ ipr's were within spec, my ficm sync, and ficm power was good but batteries were at 8.8 v...

make sure icp is at least 500 psi when cranking or no start

ipr make sure its above 15% and under 85% when starting mid 20's normal driving.

check for ficm voltages and sync.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will do the filters when I get home from camp. The batts are brand new and so is the alt.
What is the simplest way to check all my vitals? With scangauge? I take it the band clamp is different from the 7.3 cause I never marked that one, maybe thats why it took an hour to get back on :confused will look at doing the turbo aswell, roughly how many hours should I put aside to remove the turbo snd clean? Pedestal orings in there llike the 7.3? If so, replace them? Thanks alot for the info, I know alot of 6.0 haters and I just bought this thing last week to get it to be a reliable truck to shut them up! I definately love the truck, lots of power, and nothing sounds like a 6.0 in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the one that I have here. I assumed it was a bad injector but no codes. Once I investigated, I found diesel in the degas bottle indicating a cracked head. Once it warms up it runs great. The crack must be small because it's not filling the degas, just adding enough diesel to it to coat the bottle.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC stroker View Post
a used computer was put in. (Apparently the edge cs killed it) so I had the dealership flash the pcm, no change.
Did this happen since you owned it? or right before you bought it? I run a CS in my truck and I've been having some issues getting the thing to start..meaning..it doesn't.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have definately learned to run custom tunes if you have the means.. if not run stock. You should get rid of the cs, and get it to ford for a reflash. I am in canada and it was only 75 bucks here, so in the states that should only be about 7.99! Seriously though, thats what I would do. The computer in my truck was replaced by the previous owner cause he disconnected the cs while programming. hopefully you can reflash it and get away easy.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
Sounds like the one that I have here. I assumed it was a bad injector but no codes. Once I investigated, I found diesel in the degas bottle indicating a cracked head. Once it warms up it runs great. The crack must be small because it's not filling the degas, just adding enough diesel to it to coat the bottle.
I will definately check it out, thanks. If there is a tiny amount in there any secret to detecting it?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ordered the scangauge 2 today, so when it gets here, I will start troubleshooting. In the meantime I will change the fuel filters, and possibly clean the turbo.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can anyone tell me if theres a page that lets me know all of the tolerences/voltage ect that the scangauge moniters? I would love to know what to look for that is off. Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Be very very carefull here guys. When just starting a 6.0 and getting white smoke along with a miss. This means a injector is hung open and this can melt a piston real fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.