Marc questions??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Marc questions???

I put Marc, but this goes out to anyone.
My 2006 is going in on Monday for a rear main seal leak. I was wondering is a common failure? Or is this the begining of a real headache.
Also does anyone have any information on how this is replaced? Pics, diagrams etc. I am curious about it. I don't have any mods on it and it has 9800 miles on it. The oil drip hasn't hit the ground (yet).
Well overall I love my truck and I hope I didn't buy a lemon.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
The Fat Mod

Probably not a rear main. I bet it is an o-ring or something to do with your oil lines. Hope up on top of the motor and look down near your HPOP and see if you can see where it is leaking from.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Interesting...

Man, I am amazed at how many people say they think they have rear main leaks!!!!! I know 99% of the time it's either the pedestal or HPOP orings, and the oil trickles on down, but that's something to kep an eye on.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

shane, it probably not your rear main. If it is, they will remove the trans, slide hammer out the old seal, and install the new seal with a special tool that presses it in with a bolt....BUT most of the time it isnt that.

Oil off the top and sides of your motor tends to collect back at the bellhousing and then drips off from there. A very mis-diagnosed thing since it seems to be a rear main. Look at the sides of your block from the front and you will se your cam and crank sensors. Look in that area and see if there is an oil trail going back. Also look at the back of the cylender heads over the tranny from below. Look for oil there. Then look in the valley of the motor with a flashlight. I bet on or more of these areas has oil. look at the pics below. If it isnt a bad leak, pay particularly close attention to the two torx bolts under the blue boot that comes off the front of the turbo. There may be a little oil in the torx head. below are the sensors i was talking about....

6.0 sensor locations
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 PM

Not to sound too stupid, but what its HPOP? I had the tech diganose this problem, but I will look at the areas that you recommended. Thanks so much for replying so soon. I will reply once I find out some more info. The pics really help someone who isn't to diesel savy.
Later,
Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HPOP = High Pressure Oil Pump. Doubt it x4 that it's not the rear main seal. On the 6.0's the turbo pedistal and hpop aren't common leaks. The 2 mentioned in the previous sentence usually occur on the 7.3's.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Ok here's what I found. On the front of the bellhousing there is a black plug (for use of better terms it looks like a rubber stop that could be removed for inspection). The oil streak is coming out of the bottom of that plug. I ran my fiingers all around the block by the sensors and didn't find anything wet. I took my flashlight and looked at the top of the motor by the turbo and couldn't see anything wet either. I don't know if this helps. I just hate not knowing that much about diesels and relying on what the techs at my dealership are saying. I know we all make mistakes in troubleshooting, so I want to go in armed with information.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

look at the back of the heads, looking up over the trans, particularly the bottom corner of the right head by the starter. Also, look closely at the lower part of the block right abover the aluminum plate. Check for any signs of oil.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Went out and looked and ran my fingers all around and found no signs of oil. I notice some soot marks coming out of the lower corners of my exhaust manifold, is that normal? Or am I being paronoid about every little thing ?
The soot was only on the passenger side manifold on 2 of 4 cylinders. I guess I should take your advice from earlier, if the oil ain't hitting the ground it should be OK.
But I still have an appointment to have the rear main replaced on Monday. I just am looking to avoid the techs having to take my truck all apart. Maybe I am old school in thinking that it was never good to have them ripped apart and repaired. I know you diesel techs know your stuff, I just hate being left out of the loop. If you have any more ideas about what to look for let me know.
Thanks,
Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

the soot is normal. Your truck has not exhaust manifold gaskets, it is metal to metal. The manifolds dont seal perfectly on cold start up, thats whent he soot comes out. Once the manifold hits 200 degrees or so, it seals and no more soot is let out (or exhaust), but the soot is still left on the metal.

It may be your rear main. I have replaced two on 6.0's.....i just have doubts since its commonly misdiaged. Since you have checked the common areas, sounds like they could be right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.