Bad leak HELP IMPORTANT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Exclamation Bad leak HELP IMPORTANT

Hey guys, my trucks been running great and just today i found my truck was leaving a spot in parking spaces, so i took a picture.. any ideas guys? i'm tightening the drain screw but i'm positive its not that...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the EGR delete hose, look around turbo feed and drain tube, check around the glow plugs. Might even be the common rear main seal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM

the vally is clean under the turbo and the hose seems to still be well attached and not greasy, .. glow plugs seam ok... so what do you mean by rear main seal and how much $$$ does that cost?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM

rear main seal is the rear seal on your crank shaft. doesnt look that bad to me. i have seen much worse. but if it is a rear main the only way i know to change it is pull the motor or drop the transmission and try and go in that way. not rally sure on our trucks sorry! i know thats not what you wanted to hear.
here is a pic of one from a diff vehicle. i have heard of changing one out with motor still in truck but it wasnt 4wd or a diesel. maybe some one else will have better answers for ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad leak HELP IMPORTANT-gmc62l-van-oilpain.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
rear main seal is the rear seal on your crank shaft. doesnt look that bad to me. i have seen much worse. but if it is a rear main the only way i know to change it is pull the motor or drop the transmission and try and go in that way. not rally sure on our trucks sorry! i know thats not what you wanted to hear.
here is a pic of one from a diff vehicle. i have heard of changing one out with motor still in truck but it wasnt 4wd or a diesel. maybe some one else will have better answers for ya.
i sure as hell hope so.. i'm hoping i missed something small! or that its the oil pan!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM

it really doesnt look that bad to me. my old F-150 use to leak a quart a week. so i just changed the filter every 3 months and considered it an oil change.

i would just try and wipe it as clean as possible and try drive it around a little and then use a good flashlight and get all up under the truck and check it out good.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM

maybe you could try posting in the general 6.0 forum. may get more hits that way, and maybe someone with better knowledge than i have
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM

maybe.. i was hoping if this got enough bumps i'd get some help.. looks like i'm towing my 4K trailer and fully loaded truck with my uncle to NC without fixing this.. gallon of oil coming right up!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

It might not be the rear main seal. After I had my truck bulletproofed the mechanic who does job for sinister diesel said alot of ppl replace the rear main seal when it's actually the "Bed plate" Im not sure how this seals or anything but he said its a common problem on the 6.0's. also you can always try this...

My buddies dodge 04 2500 was leaking trans fluid pretty bad. I crawled under with a small 1/4in drive and was able to just snug up some of the trans bolts and the leak never case back.

don't reef on them because I believe its an aluminum housing. so I used a small 1/4in drive and just snugged them like 1/4 turn.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 AM

does anyone have a picture of a bed plate leaking.. cause this looks like its coming from the top of the back of the oil pan and dripping down the oil pan but nothing on the trans.. my trans LOOKS clean.. i couldn't find any helpful pictures through Google.. so i'm hoping someone here has some... i thought of the bed plate but was hoping not to pull an engine or have ford do it... if its the bed plate i'l have them do the rear main seal too and head studs.. i mean if i'm gonna dump that much $$$ and have the cab off why not... could it be an oil pump seal leak? should i get some florescent oil dye... but i don't have a special lamp to see it.. what would i need for a check like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.