F-550 low IPR and desired ICP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-550 low IPR and desired ICP

Hey. I have a late 2004 F550 picker truck. Stock, 6 speed, starts well but makes low power. According to my NexIQ scan tool at WOT pulling or empty it tops out at ICP 3.xx volts, IPR 60%, 2600 psi desired and actual. I changed oil, filters (all), cleaned EGR, EBP and tube, swapped in known good ICP sensor, passed aired up HPO system test, FICM volts bang on, IPR pulled and clean and cycles, batteries new and load test ok, fuel in good shape, turbo sounds just like my 05 F350, only leap of faith is clear exhaust pipes. Putting off cutting into that, it has no cat and is mostly straight pipe save a straight thru muffler. Olny code is P1000. Have cleared some related to a previous no start. Also has a Ford box to control PTO operation. Makes no difference on or off. Power balance test is ok too. I am baffled. Seems like the truck only asks for half the fuel it should. It seems to get it too but a two ton that gets outrun and out pulled by my old gm 6.5 is no truck at all. Any ideas besides throwing parts at it? I don't do that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you do the air test and take the oil filter out can you hear a gargling noise? If so then you might have a HPOP on its way out. Do you have any way to monitor boost levels?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope. No stock boost gauge. I will run the gurgling oil filter housing test in the AM. My main curiosity is why the ICP desired and actual match the IPR duty cycle. If the pump was on the way out wouldn't the computer ask for near 85% to hit less than 3900 psi or whatever normal max ICP is?? 60% of 3900psi is aboot 25-2600 psi. Seems like the truck says "you want me to pull that?! F@#&* you." And gives half the fuel it should.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

That is a good question, can the throttle pedal not be giving 100% input!! I am pretty sure the ScanGauge will look at the values.. I think
Take a look there if it checks out maybe the pump is the issue ? I have seen my truck in the 4100+ range a few times but not for some time.
2600 is pretty low, what are your values at idle icp/ipr ?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

About 26-30% @ idle, lower once warm, maybe 25%. 560ish psi maybe 600 at the high end when warming up. Throttle input matches what my foot is doing. Actual ICP follows desired very close, fast as you can glance between the two numbers. And fuel pump pressure was 57 psi. Never hooked it up for a full throttle run to see if fuel pressure falls on it's face.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

It is quite possible this cab/chassis is using a detuned PCM. However, you need to check the AP for full movement. It is possible that a floor mat is preventing full movement.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In my mind that seems unlikely. Why would anyone want a half power truck? Rev and speed limiters, yes. If a Ford employee can chime in here, that would be ideal.

I would like to be pointed to some information on the 2004 programming and what mat cause the computers to cut or limit power. Or confirmation that C&C's could be had with low output PCMs.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is your fuel pressure at WOT?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will check it but again it's the IPR ICP numbers that get me. The fuel supply is mechanically regulated and looks like a fuel shortage shouldn't have a digital feedback. It would only show up as a loss of power with the icp and ipr showing near max at full load. I don't remember seeing a fuel pressure sensor. Mass fuel seems to be calculated rather than measured,right? Also my fuel pulse width says 0.00 but cmp and ckp are synced.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any more ideas? Sorry to keep hitting the same subject over and over but there has to be an answer here somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.