PCM/EGR issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PCM/EGR issue

Need help, Have a reoccurring CEL on my ’04 F-250

Been getting P-401 forever, but now that California wants diesels smogged I need to get it fixed. This code keeps popping up no matter what I have done i.e. replaced EBP, MAP, MAF, EGR valve ( even cleaned several times), no leaks in the intake or exhaust.

Only upgrades so far have been Bullet Proofs Oil and EGR coolers ( not a delete ) and ARP head studs. Bought Auto Enginuity for my truck and noticed an issue.

While out driving and troubleshooting the EGR valve I had the EGRVP and EGRVPDES on the AE and noticed that at first the two would track together but for no reason the EGRVP would just go to 0% even though the EGRVPDES was still working trying to command the valve to open( MAL did not come on yet). Truck would sometimes start and run with them tracking and sometimes they would not (EGRVP = 0%).Other times it would start without them working. Its just hit or miss when they work, not work, work again. The weird thing though is that when the EGRVPDES was trying to command the valve to open and it would not, I could command it to open manually with the AE ( IAT2 temp increases).

I’m 99% positive this is what’s causing my P-401 code. My first thought is that maybe the PCM needs to be reflashed or the PCM itself is bad. Need help before I drop $1000 for new PCM and flash.

Last edited by Aeromac69; 07-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well had the PCM reflashed this week and did not help. Anybody?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So when the pcm would command it open, egrvp stayed the same. but when you commanded it open using AE, egrvp would follow the dutycycle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When the PCM commanded the EGR to open it would, until sometimes the egr would just stop working even when there is a command signal from the PCM. When i would command it with the duty cycle it would open to the percentage command given.

Since getting the PCM updated this passed week and installing a new EGR valve the intermintant working/ not working EGR has not resurfaced YET. But still get the CEL.

Also now since the update when i command it to open with the Duty Cycle, no matter what percentage the EGR valve will only open to 45% and when the PCM commands it, it tracks the command for the most part ( lag time reading info ). All of which if i'm not mistaken is working properly. But again it still gets the CEL.

Now i'm not so sure its the PCM. But then again i'm open to any suggestions. This decade long battle its getting old. Want the truck running right before spending money on upgrades.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its gotta be a wiring issue. Check the common chaffing areas on the harness. When i did my hpop change i re-installed both harness with new wire loom and wrapped the pigtails and common chaffing areas really good with electrical tape.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, i'll check it out on my next seven day weekend. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Does the P0401 set a check engine light or is it just a soft code?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It will set the soft code without setting the CEL but eventually the CEL does come on. Sometimes it will just come on right away. After clearing the P401 code, P1000 will set but that there is an EGR code pending. I then perform the Drive Cycle test the best I can, no matter how many times I do the drive cycle it doesn’t clear. Either I’m not doing the drive cycle correctly or its waiting for something that I’m not aware of to perform. So usually after about 40 to 100 miles the code comes back. Drove about 80 miles round trip Saturday running erands and its still pending an EGR code but no CEL.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One thing i failed to mention early on is that it is an "'04 truck with and '03 motor (i.e. round egr cooler, intake manifold with the cross channel, no throttle plate) hope this info will shed more light on this issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the CEL did come on shortly after the last two posts

Today checked the wiring to the EGR, all five pins have good continuity and less than 1 ohm resistance to the PCM plug, even twisted and pulled a little to see if there were any hidden breaks but it held up well. No shorts between any of the five pins on the EGR female plug. Checked the wires for any chaffing by pulling the tape and conduit apart and didn’t find any that I could see. I'll check the rest of the harness within the next few day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr, pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.