Ok folks. 2003 6.0 111,000 miles. I tow 8 to 9k lbs travel trailer about once a month.
Symtoms: 1) Difficult to start...sometimes...Turns over but sometimes seems to be searching for a starting position.
2) If I don't let it warm up (minimum 5 minutes) it runs like hell. Bucks and kicks and has no power with a definite drag on the turbo. After warm up, it runs like a champ. Have to keep block heater plugged in if less than 60 degrees or has to warm up more than 10 minutes.
3) Last tow in May, turbo exhaust line popped off and lost all power on interstate. Once at campground, was able to reattach the pipe and and good to go.
4) Oil and other goo is found in the coolant reservoir tank. (leaking oil cooler)
What has been done so far------
1) Ford replaced the EGR cooler about 3 years ago, but I am not seeing exactly the same symptoms from it.
2) All diagnostics show zero active or stored codes, but it can't be true.
3) Ran 2 bottles of sea foam through to see if it would clean the injectors. No improvement.
What I know
1) Catalytic converter is clean
2) Doesn't white smoke.
3) Only puffs a little black smoke when I get on it, or towing up hill and get on it.
4) Filter are clean
5) Turbo sounds good?!?!!
6) New EGR valve and EGR is dry carbon (no wet goo in the EGR, or at least as much as I can see at the valve hole.)
SOOOOO....with all that said, is all of that the result of the leaking oil cooler, or what else to look at/investigate?
Plan someday soon to work on oil cooler, but should I just buy the heat exchanger and some gaskets, or replace with aftermarket such as bulletproof? While I'm in there, what to do with the EGR?
Sorry for all of the words, but I need all the help I can get.