Oil Cooler is leaking, but still need help with...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler is leaking, but still need help with......

Ok folks. 2003 6.0 111,000 miles. I tow 8 to 9k lbs travel trailer about once a month.
Symtoms: 1) Difficult to start...sometimes...Turns over but sometimes seems to be searching for a starting position.

2) If I don't let it warm up (minimum 5 minutes) it runs like hell. Bucks and kicks and has no power with a definite drag on the turbo. After warm up, it runs like a champ. Have to keep block heater plugged in if less than 60 degrees or has to warm up more than 10 minutes.

3) Last tow in May, turbo exhaust line popped off and lost all power on interstate. Once at campground, was able to reattach the pipe and and good to go.

4) Oil and other goo is found in the coolant reservoir tank. (leaking oil cooler)

What has been done so far------
1) Ford replaced the EGR cooler about 3 years ago, but I am not seeing exactly the same symptoms from it.

2) All diagnostics show zero active or stored codes, but it can't be true.

3) Ran 2 bottles of sea foam through to see if it would clean the injectors. No improvement.

What I know
1) Catalytic converter is clean
2) Doesn't white smoke.
3) Only puffs a little black smoke when I get on it, or towing up hill and get on it.
4) Filter are clean
5) Turbo sounds good?!?!!
6) New EGR valve and EGR is dry carbon (no wet goo in the EGR, or at least as much as I can see at the valve hole.)

SOOOOO....with all that said, is all of that the result of the leaking oil cooler, or what else to look at/investigate?

Plan someday soon to work on oil cooler, but should I just buy the heat exchanger and some gaskets, or replace with aftermarket such as bulletproof? While I'm in there, what to do with the EGR?

Sorry for all of the words, but I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
FICM should be checked as well as your glow plug circuit. Definitely sounds like a failing FICM or injector issues.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey man im down in snellville if you want me to take a look at it for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am wanting to do the work myself to continue to learn about my current truck and future trucks. But is there a way to know which FICM to buy without digging in? I would like to have one on hand when I get into it, so I can be done in a day. I just don't have a lot of time or $$. I also understand that the 7 pin has to be purchased as a hole unit, and I would have to have it preprogrammed. Any suggestions on where to buy? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if the FICM volts are low, you can just have it rebuilt. A lot of people on here like Ed at FICMrepair.com The only down side is your out of a FICM for a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.