Oil leak in Turbo Charger - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak in Turbo Charger

The MPG on my '06 F250 (82k miles) has been decreasing. I used to get about 15 mpg towing my trailer, now it's about 11.5. It also popped P0299 codes a couple times (turbo underboost). I took the turbo off and found oil in the boost air outlet side. I took the intake manifold off and found wet sticky oil in there as well.

No issues with coolant, the EGR cooler is fine. I am going to install an EGR cooler with plugs welded in the ends.

I attached pictures showing the oil in the intake and turbo. My question is: What's the best way to clean the oil out of the intake ports on the engine block?

I haven't taken the turbo apart yet, but what can I expect to find? Are oil leaks in the turbo common?

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak in Turbo Charger-img_2194.jpg   Oil leak in Turbo Charger-img_2196.jpg   Oil leak in Turbo Charger-img_2198.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Premium Member

Your pictures are missing.

The MPG drop could be a number of factors not related to the turbo. However, let's assume it is turbo related. It is possible the turbo needs a good cleaning of the turbine section. Sticking vanes or lots of carbon can impede flow and lead to low boost. So can cracked or loose boots, and the infamous MAP sensor hose. Same goes for the inter-cooler or cold tube and connections. Check the easy stuff first. At some point you may end up at the turbo for the inspection and cleaning.

The oil you are seeing in the hot tube and pre turbo are probably normal from the CCV. Serious oil leaks are not common.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had this same issue and was told that this gunk was from the crank case vent. I did the ccv mod and threw a new turbo on so Ill see next time Im in their.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replys.

Whatever the cause, what's the best way to clean the gunk out of the intake ports in the heads?

I'll try to figure out why the pictures aren't loading. I can see them, but only when I'm logged into my account.

-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.