6.0 with oil in coolent (and yes the oil cooler has been replaced) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 with oil in coolent (and yes the oil cooler has been replaced)

Like the title states, my 04 F350 has oil in the coolant again. I have had the truck for a month, and 400 miles before I bought it the oil cooler had been replaced (acording to oasis, I still have some connections at the ford dealer). I was a tech at Ford untill early 03 and I only got to mess with the 6.0's for 10 months or so, and I was looking for a 7.3 just for the simple fact that i have alot more experence with them but I couldent pass the deal i got on this 04. Trying to make a long story short, I still have oil in the coolant, and it is not leftover oil from the original cooler failure, this is new fresh oil. The truck is at the ford dealer that i bought it from (and it just so happens to be the same ford dealership my stepfather is the parts manager at, so I have some insite but it drives me crazy for someone else to be working on my truck and me trying to figure out the problem sitting at home). So if anyone has some ideas let me know, the truck has been at the dealer sence wendsday and my focus rental is far from my truck Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

twenty bucks says it residual oil. When an oil cooler goes it is a nasty mess and it can take months to flush all the crud out of there. Oil gets caught in the radiator and heater core and takes forever to work out
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats what I had thought because when i first got the thing it had some sludge in the degas bottle (and thats why I checked the oasis) but the last week it stopped looking like sludge and looked like clean oil, and thats when i took it back. So they flushed the bottle and told me to come get it (this was last tuesday) so on wendsday when i go to pick it up after the service manager told me he checked it personally (and he did), i opened the hood when the lot boy brought the truck up from the parking spot and it was full of brand new oil. So i showed this to the service manager and the tech who worked on it and they were baffelled. I was hopeing that it was just some leftover oil from the original cooler problem but this seemed to be an exessive amount (according to the tech that worked on it) and new looking oil not sludgey. I dont know i hope to get some info tomorrow. Thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

that sounds like another oil cooler failure. I have yet to see a repeat failure but it is possible the one put in your truck was defective from the factory
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats kinda what i thought this kind of stuff is typical for me , i dont have the best of luck
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would have to second the residual one, since Marc and I have talked about this problem extensively in the past. However it would be great to get the diagnosis once you find out!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it's been over a week and i still don't have my truck. Two days ago I talked to the service manager and he said it should be finished up by that afternoon (yea right) so I have no clue whats going on. Like i said my step father is the parts manager at the dealer thats doing the work but he has been tied up with meetings and paperwork (he was on vacation last week) and he has not been able to get a straight answer either? Oh well i just figured i would give everyone an update.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastponys View Post
Thats kinda what i thought this kind of stuff is typical for me , i dont have the best of luck
My grandfather always told me " your luck is what you make it". I have an 04 F-350, and am now on my 3rd replacement turbo charger, guess i got the bad luck too! Anyway, i try to make the best of it, i get mad about it then i vent, then i am all good. Hope your bad luck turns good my friend.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I finally got the truck back today, and they did have to put another oil cooler in it. The first one was defective, so now I have to get more residual oil out of the cooling system again . Also they had it an extra day cause the tech scratched the fender and it had to be touched up at the body shop. So at least I have the truck back and from now on I wont be taking it back to that dealer for work (I will be taking it to the dealer I used to work at, I still know a couple of the diesel techs over there) I have never seen a service department ran like the one my truck was just at . Well you live and learn and now i'm done venting (sorry guys)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When you had oil in the antifreeze, what did the oil dipstick show???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastponys View Post
Well I finally got the truck back today, and they did have to put another oil cooler in it. The first one was defective, so now I have to get more residual oil out of the cooling system again . Also they had it an extra day cause the tech scratched the fender and it had to be touched up at the body shop. So at least I have the truck back and from now on I wont be taking it back to that dealer for work (I will be taking it to the dealer I used to work at, I still know a couple of the diesel techs over there) I have never seen a service department ran like the one my truck was just at . Well you live and learn and now i'm done venting (sorry guys)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.