NEWBIE NEEDS HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

So, Just bought an '06 f350 6.0 Dump w/ 108k miles. When I went to the "dealer" last week to take a look at it for the first time, it wouldnt start. So, the sales guy threw a battery charger on it for a couple minutes and it started up and ran great. Engine sounded strong, smooth. Turbo sounded great (has KN Filter on it). The only other issues i saw on that first test drive was that the Radio was on, stuck on AM, and none of the buttons worked except the power button to turn it off. Also, the driver side window would need a couple of random presses to make it go up or down. I know these are insignificant, but i am curious as to if it is related to the problem i have today. It wouldnt start about an hour ago. The truck is "turn, no start" but, a very weak turn. I think ive read that if the FICM Is bad, that it can cause all sorts of strange electrical problems as well as driving issues? the truck has been kind of rough driving while doing about 50-70mph on the highway. a strange, pretty consistent vibration in the steering wheel/seat. (yes yes i know its a dump truck, but ive driven plenty before and not many have felt like this). Not sure if thats even related?

So, Im just learning about the FICM and it sounds like this could be the problem. But, could it also just be a battery issue? they are from 2011, so not that old. I got the OASIS report from the original dealer of the trcuk , and they replaced the FICM in 2011, so its only 2 years old. How long are these things supposed to last?!

well, thats all i have. hope that someone can help me out. i would really appreciate some input before i call the dealer i bought it from to ream them out tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

Radio..could just need replacement. And for the window..if its just a single window doing that, I'd think its probably a switch or a loose wire in the door panel. That is if when it works, it still seems smooth. Otherwise could be the power window motor on that door.

The FICM can be destroyed just with weak batteries. So its hard to say if that's your problem. but you said the truck sometimes is a "turn, no start but, a very weak turn." Makes me think the batteries are going out on you. They should be load tested and have the dealer replace if they're bad. As far as why they would go out that fast, may have not had enough CCAs or whatever electrical problem you may or may not have in the drive side door might be drawing power but that's just a guess so don't put all of your coins in one basket for that one.

The vibration..could be so many different things. When my FICM was heading south, in like 4th gear the truck would buck and lose power until I mashed the skinny pedal again. But if its vibrates no matter what you do, then you're problem looking at some sort of steering/suspension issue in the front end. Most likely something simple, just overlooked.

If the dealer has the equipment and its on their dime. I'd have them hook up a scan tool to it that can see live data. Something just as simple as battery voltage Key On/Engine Off and FICM volts in all 3 phases (Key on/engine off, cranking, idling). You want it to stay as close to 48v as possible. Weak batteries can throw this number off a bit (but can also fry the power side of the FICM). Or since you already bought the truck, maybe find yourself a truck store and buy some sort of monitor that hooks up to your OBDII port so you can see it yourself.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you

So talked to the dealer, they are going to replace both batteries today. I will definitely make sure they run the voltage test as well, I really don't want to deal with an FICM issue already!
You're probably right about the rough ride being just a front end issue.

Thanks a lot for the quick replay and great info!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You gotta get a monitor on the truck. Saying that you dont want to deal with the FICM right now will not stop the FICM from forcing you to deal with it and maybe some injectors and what ever else it wants to take out on the way. The truck will tell you what it needs but with out a monitor you cannot see it. Spend a bit now or ALOT later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ficm, power loss, rough ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.