05 turbo noisy,lack of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 turbo noisy,lack of power

Have a 05,basic 6.0 automatic 4x4 ext cab,noticing turbo is noisy after shutdown,sort of growling when still spinning,also seems to have no low end grunt,boost guage shows 5 Psi at approx. 55 mile per hour,does go up to about 30 psi when I put my foot into it?,only owned for a year,has 158k on it.Have no idea as to past history,seems to be all original,no major work looks to have been done.also tranny is sluggish to shift if I baby it?,truck seems to work better if I drive it like a gas powered one?,been looking at other posts and see a lot of the VGT vanes are stuck?,does this sound like a symptom to mine?,is there any way I can chec to see if they are free?,don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to,but I have the ability if need be.there are no lights on in the dash,but the other day it was acting sluggish when I took off and it was late to shift,about 2300 rpm before it did,and the little wrench lit up in the dash,it went out when I shut it off,it did come on again on the way home,again went out next time I started it,hasnt come back yet.I know a long post but I need this truck working good as I have atrip planned with a trailer in 3 weeks time. Harveyb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like your turbo is going out.that growling noise you hear could be the turbo touching the sides or the bushings in turbo about to seeze up.take the int take to turbo off and see if compressor wheel is hitting the turbo housing any where report back with findings.

Last edited by fatbastardf350; 06-15-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Do you mean the plastic pipe?,i think I know what you mean,can I see the vanes in there,and would they wiggle? if they are loose?,will look at that a little later when I can get to it. thanks Harvey
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 AM

yes you can see the vanes you can grab the compressor wheel to see if it moves.i press to both sides and spin it if it makes contact i would do a bushing kit or aka rebuild kit and get out cheap cheap.but you let that turbo go and it decides to go implode when it touches good by motor....

you know me so it is only fair i know you and glad i could help.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Went out and pulled the pipes off,grabbed the end of the vane,it has some play in it,not a lot but is definetly loose?,moves up and down some.i have found a used turbo with 60k on it,havent seen it yet,how can I tell if it is OK,i am mainly concerned with the VGT part,dont think the owner will let me take it apart to see if it is wore?,will the loose vanes? make the truck run any worse,other then the exploding part when it does let go?.Harvey
Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 AM

when it touches the sides and digs into it.you did not say if your compressor wheel
makes contact with the compressor housing.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 AM

It does not seem to make any contact,spins nice and smooth,cant hear any noises.seems to make more noise when shut down as trhe wheel spins after the motor stops?any way to check if the vanes are working smoothly, am likely to try another turbo,and rebuild mine at a later time?any one know if the solenoid valves are the same for some of the newer years,have found a turbo from a 08 E-250,apparently they had the 6.0 in them. Thanks Harvey
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Another thing with the truck is it is a little hard to start sometimes,has to wind over a bit to start,and gives a puff of smoke out the tailpipe too,the odd time it fires up on the first crank and has no smoke?,but mostly it takes that little bit more cranking. Harvey
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

i know who this is,it's jt whats up bud.i just need to come look at the truck and hear it and i will be able to help you..as far as hard to start could be inj.most of the time when it does this.the oil is a little thicker not being able to fully fire the injector.but when the truck warms up the oil is thinner and can enter the injector faster.try this plug it up and bet it starts right up that's because the oil is warm enought aka thin enought to fully enter the injector.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 AM

it does not seem to make any difference if the truck is hot or cold,I live in Canada,so I have to plug it in in the winter to get it to start,even after sitting for a few minutes it can still be slow to fire,it always starts just seems like it should start faster,have a buddy who has a dodge truck,is a 88 has 500,000 on it,and his starts like a gas powered car,it is unbelievable how easy his fires up. Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.