Bad ficm? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad ficm?

Ok my truck has been running like **** lately and I had a buddy come over with his motus to look at all my levels and I saw my ficm volts at park at idle went down to 46.5 on the peddle. And just idling was between 47.5and 47.0 the whole time. Also I have. P132b code recently I did an egr delete and new oil cooler. I did a quick search for others with problems and one problem was up pipe not quite on right or in teak leak and exhaust leak. I'm 99% sure I put everything back on correctly as to me it seemed pretty straight forward and have work on other motors before and not had problems any input appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

What Year is the Truck ???
46.5 is not a bad # but its a sign that the supply voltage may be low.
What was the trucks voltage at ?

The OEM alt is sadly underpowered and will starve the ficm of power leading it to it's destruction.

What type of oil are you running and are the filters oem.
Have you drained water out of the separator lately ?
Is it running bad at idle or all rpm's ?

Taking a look at the turbo connection is a good place to start if the power is across the board. Also make SURE everything is plugged back in.

Last edited by mhatlen; 06-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not sure what voltage the truck was runnin at but I am running valvoline 15-40 also new to diesels where is the seperator
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also truck is a 03 and it runs rough when it feels like usually I notice at lower speeds though the truck will surge and almost starve for boost or something with blueish whitish smoke until I let off of gas at wot only
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

You know you may have debris in your IPR. When you work on these powerstrokes you really need to wear rubber gloves and any cleaning of carbon from the engine needs to be vacuumed out. When things get wiped down with shop rags the lint that gets left behind winds up in the IPR. Yes lint, it really raises hell on IPR valves.
Remember the powerstroke moves up to 18 gpm of oil through the pumps because of the hpo system and its moving at 3800 psi.
As big of a pain pulling the IPR is you need to rule it out. Very common to have your symptoms after oil cooler job. Sterile practices are only way to keep it from happening. If shop rags were used to clean inside the engine the lint is smashing the screen on IPR.

Also inspect ICP for any oil leaking into pigtail. You can unplug the ICP to see if it smoothes out at idle.

Do you have a way to monitor the hpo system?

The separator is in the fuel pump below driver seat on frame rail. It is a allen socket flat head type of plug. Unscrew it and let it drain out and then retighten.

Also 5/W40 is the best oil for the 6.0 will run better than adding RevX to 15W/40.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would bet you have injectors going down.sometimes the problem will be right in front of you and you choose to ignore it trust i know i've done it many times.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

aprsr

I had a similar problem with my 2003 6.0 excursion, some one told me it might be my FICM but I should try a new alternator first. I purchased a stock rated alternator from DC Power High Output Alternators, the 6.0 has been running smoother than it has been for years! (engine has 160,000 miles) It's almost scary as it has never run this good! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.