Engine getting hot? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine getting hot?

Ok I tried serching the forums and could not find a solution.

I have a 2003 F-350 SD XLT 4x4 SRW CC/LB truck has 125k on it. I use the edge CTS to monitor temps.

Pulling a hill towing the boat (a 20' aluminum i would say under 5K) the ECT and the EOT both rise higher then I would like I have seen 240 on the ECT and 250 on the EOT. the Deltas stay within 15 degrees most on the time there are times when pulling a hill they will get further apart but not often and always get better once we are over the hill. During all this the dash guages never leave the middle of normal. Temps do not look normal to me and look higher then what most guys are running.

Happens usualy on long grades but has done it once when it was 105 outside on a very slight uphill for many miles. Only does it when towing.

The fan does NOT come on very often it has kicked on around 235 before other times at 240 other times not at all and has even come on at 205 before. When it does come on the temps fall very quickly (both ECT & EOT) problem is it's just not coming on or at least not as much as I would like it to. It usually runs for less then a minute then back off again with ECT temp still in the upper 220's lower 230's. When the fan comes on it sounds like a jet engine so it seems to be working ok just not getting the OK from somewhere to kick on i guess.

Not sure where to look as i think the clutch is working just not being told to turn on.

No codes on the CTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Is the egr plugged in ??
Do you have a egr valve or deleted ??

Yes those temps are horrible and you need to figure out the issue before you have bigger problems.

Coolant is full I am assuming.
Radiator fins are clean ?
Factory thermostat??
All the plugs up front for the fan are good and tight and chafing free ?

You may have a waterpump issue but rule everything else out first of coarse.
You should be seeing 205 ect on hot days with the a/c running.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM

EGR is plugged in and recently replaced.

Coolent is full.

Fins are clean.

Not sure on the T-stat I have not changed since I have owned the truck (last 5,000 miles)

I will have to check the wires to the fan tomorrow. I can't see them looks like I will have to pull the shroud to inspect them. Is pulling the shroud the best way to get in there and inspect the wires?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Some things going through my mind let me know what makes sense and what does not.

Engine oil heats up as does ECT but also goes down quickly when ECT drops. So I would think I am still getting decent flow through the oil cooler?

If the thermostat was stuck closed the engine would not cool when the fan does kick on. Same thing with the water pump If I was getting poor circulation the truck would not cool so fast when i crest the top of a hill or if the fan decides to turn on.

I originaly thought it was a fan clutch but when it does decide to turn on it sounds like a jet engine and cools the truck no problem. Could still be a clutch that works intermittently i guess.

I think everything would be great temp wise if the fan came on more just need to figure out why it's not coming on.

I am leaning towards an electrical issue. I will definatly inspect the wires going to the fan tomorrow and see what they look like. I could see some frayed wires or rubbed bare wires loosing connection and every once in a while they make a connection and the fan comes on. Other then that maybe a sensor or something wrong with the computer that controls the fan (not sure what one runs it)

Again these are all just thoughts going through my head while I try to figure out whats going on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Good read on the fan clutch here Coolant Fan Question

Even some of those guys are saying it takes longer to kick on during towing for some reason. Really just because its too smart for its own good in my opinion. I miss the days of hitting "X" degrees..fan kicks on..and stays on until below "x" degrees. I haven't heard my clutch fan kick on in so long, I have to pop the hood once in awhile to make sure it didn't fall out on some interstate. Hope it helps though.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You guys should look into the fan mod. Super easy to do and you can a jump on those temps before the truck gets to that "oh dang Im getting hot better turn on da fan..."
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

not sure I'd want to run the fan mod constantly..not saying its bad..but I'd probably forget knowing me. I would like to know how to do "said" fan mod though..so I can test to see if mine failed me or for some reason my computer just doesn't want to turn it on anymore
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To turn on the fan with a switch:
Add a switch to the dark blue wire in the fan connector at the top of the fan shroud. This connector is a five wire connector and the dark blue wire receives a GROUND connection from the PCM when it decides that the fan needs to be turned on. After turning on the switch to send GROUND to the dark blue wire, the viscous fan clutch heats up (it will take 20-50 seconds or so to fully heat up) and the fan will engage and run with a lot of sound!. After turning off the switch, the viscous fan clutch will still be hot, so it takes a minute or so for the fan to slow back down. Again, the dark blue wire is for GROUND only, not 12 volts! Also, the heater in the clutch draws about 1.25 amps or so. You can use a 16 gauge wire and a small toggle switch. Just make sure you do not cut the blue wire such that the PCM can't ground it when it wants to

How can I create a bypass switch to turn on and off the fan - JustAnswer

The diagram in the link above is from 33-1 of the Wiring Diagrams manual

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Term3; 06-14-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Basically what your doing is running a GROUND not a hot wire for your fan to the blue wire in the fan harness (the only bundle of wires comin in/out of the fan)
I just got a nice switch with a cover from the local auto parts staore and wired it up to the ground under the dash. Took me longer to pick out the switch and location than the wire job did.
Now the second that I see a hill and I got a load on I get proactive.
manual fan control
Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks, actually just found the 9 page post using the search. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it..so it doesn't look like a cob job. I don't tinker much into electronics so I don't really know whats out there. Seems straight forward..2 prong switch to ground. But what connector would I use for "Just make sure you do not cut the blue wire such that the PCM can't ground it when it wants to"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.