High ect/eot deltas plus low Coolant temp. Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High ect/eot deltas plus low Coolant temp. Help

Hey all. I have an 04 6.0 with 117k on it. It has an egr delete and sinister coolant filtration kit and hpop was done at 109k. No noticeable drivability problems except for a weak start sometimes where i have to hold the key to crank extra or it putters off. My Eot is around 225 degrees warmed up and cruising with my matco scanner on it while my ECt never gets above 150 degrees. Am I looking at a stuck open thermostat? Also if that is the case once I replace I'm assuming 235 degrees is a little hotter than the. Engine will be running and most likely out of the 15 degree delta range so would you all suggest I flush the coolant and change the oil cooler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yup looks like a new thermostat for sure. I would do the best flush possible before changing the cooler. Then get a coolant filter on their and cross your fingers. And heck depending on how energetic your feeling might look into a water pump change if your still running the oem.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Look at the ECT and EOT in the morning when cold. Make sure they read the same. Could be a bad ECT sender.

MikeB
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
cross your fingers for a bad EOT sensors. If its good more than likely your going to be doing a oil cooler change in the near future. Your oil shouldn't ever get that hot, especially when your coolant is that cool.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
Hey all. I have an 04 6.0 with 117k on it. It has an egr delete and sinister coolant filtration kit and hpop was done at 109k. No noticeable drivability problems except for a weak start sometimes where i have to hold the key to crank extra or it putters off. My Eot is around 225 degrees warmed up and cruising with my matco scanner on it while my ECt never gets above 150 degrees. Am I looking at a stuck open thermostat? Also if that is the case once I replace I'm assuming 235 degrees is a little hotter than the. Engine will be running and most likely out of the 15 degree delta range so would you all suggest I flush the coolant and change the oil cooler?
Double check the EOT and ECT readings on a COLD engine. See if they are within a few degrees after a good long cold soak. If they aren't you may have a bad temp sender.
Next, if those are in acceptable ranges, change the thermostat..then recheck the delta.
Get the truck up to standard operating temp (ECT in the high 180's low 190's). Find a long flat section of road where you can keep it between 55-65 MPH for a few miles. Keep an eye on the temps.
If the EOT exceeds the EOT by 15F, it is time for a new oil cooler.
(It seems I need to learn how to type faster.. 2 posts in the time it took me to type this out..)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
(It seems I need to learn how to type faster.. 2 posts in the time it took me to type this out..)
Haha, I do that all the time...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Hahah.... Thats why I don't type much... guy would have bought a new truck by time I was done...

Good to see you back on the forum NYC.

MikeB
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Ok truck sat 12 hours today while I was at work. I started it up with my Matco determinator scanner on it and went into the data stream to look at the readings. What's weird is that there are two listings for engine oil temp degrees under my data stream. 1 says its like -6980 degrees and the other listing for engine oil temp degrees seemed like it was the one that had the right reading. So looking at the second engine oil temp listing and the engine coolant temp listing they were within 2 degrees of each other until 144 degrees where the engine coolant temp stopped in its tracks and stayed there and engine oil temp climbed to 200 degrees along my 20 minute highway cruise. Thoughts? Thoughts about the 2 different engine oil temp listings under my data stream and the one oil temp degrees listing with the wacky reading?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Emergency Services

Switch the sensors and retest
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

^^^Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.