Low oil pressure at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Low oil pressure at idle

2003 6.0 Powerstroke I was driving and oil pressure low code came up and checked oil and smells Burnt it got up to 285 degrees changed low oil pressure pump and it didn't help. I don't see how it could be the high pressure pump maybe a main bearing? There was metal on the oil plug when I pulled it. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

When I first read this, I thought you encountered the same problems at me. But the "285*" part has me scratching my head. That is extremely high and makes me think your oil cooler failed. How does your coolant look? Is it mixing with oil? What was your Coolant Temp at when you hit 285* vs Oil Temp? Was there scarring on your lpop when you pulled it? How did the front cover look? With a helper turning the truck over, are you getting oil into the filter housing? Even with a new Lpop, if there's scarring on the front cover, you may not get enough pressure for oil to get to the high side.

If you are getting oil uptop, still a possibility with the 2003-2004 models of a bearing coming out of a machined hole on the HPOP. You then have a high pressure oil leak and that caused low oil pressure on my truck. If you have checked if oil was getting up top, do you have a way to put a manual pressure gauge to the test port to test actual base pressure vs dummy gauge on the cluster?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

First off, you can't have a low pressure issue and have the truck running. It can't happen! The only way to check low preeure oil is with an external gauge. The oil switch is set to go on at 6 psi. You probably have a bad switch or wire/plug.

The temp is another issue. Did the truck go into kimp mode? It should have. As stated, check the validity of the temp sensor and delta. What were you doing when the temp got that high? Does the truck run normally since you changed the pump. That won't fix the LPO pressure switch. Show us a pick of the plug and metal. You may need to find out where the metal is from. Oil doesn't burn or smell burned at that temp.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First off I change my oil and Friday drove home realized I got to stop light which is an hour away that my low-pressure oil light came on, and it's melt like oil on my exhaust figured I had spilt oil ok my exhaust manifold my coolant temp wasat182 and clean when my oil temp was at 275-285 range truck runs and starts just fine
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

well..that's definitely an issue. At no time should the temps differ by more than 15* on normal driving. That's quite a bit more. But maybe a faulty sensor if everything is running normal besides your gauge reading 0. I would think at those temps your oil cooler would've failed and be causing coolant and oil to mix..which would increase the cylinder pressure, blowing a headgasket...that's obviously not the case here. Do you have oil coming out of the sensors on top of your oil cooler? Don't think they'd both fail at the same time, but I've seen stranger things happen. Just with the extremely high oil temp and no reading on the dash...I'm thinking its a very serious issue or the exact opposite. Seeing is that you say the truck runs and starts healthy..I'm thinking its the latter of the 2.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the oil smelled burnt so I don't know that it's just the sensor the oil was only 2 days old and now it's burnt and there was metal on the oil plug I know some metal on the plug is normal but there was to much metal and only 2 days in.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it is Hpop what would fail Im not sure what would and how could I tell?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

03-04 MY trucks had a pressed bearing on the side of the HPOP to block a machined hole. Sometimes they go out causing a high pressure oil leak around the pump itself. You'd have to to do an air test on the high pressure system. Command the IPR closed, then listen for leaks. But this scenario has me scratching my head because if you had a high pressure leak or a failing HPOP, you should be seeing issues driving and long starts or no start situations. And I'd think if the metal shavings were from the HPOP, they would've been blasted into the IPR valve screen. That issue alone with cause long/no start situation.

I think you may have something else going on there but I'm not sure what. I'm just a backyard mechanic that spends a lot of time wrenching on my 6.0. I hope someone else will chime in here and point you in the right direction. Wish I could be more help
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to put a scanner on your truck when it is cold and see what your EOT and ECT temps are. They should be close to the ambient temp. If your EOT is 150 degrees and its only 80 degrees outside, then you found your problem.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It is true hat the truck won't run if the low lpop goes out because it feeds the hpop which will shut the injectors off if it doesn't get enough oil. Excessive heat is a major reason that hpops fail but as I said before, your truck will shut off if your hpop fails. That being said, your hpop may be coming apart but it hasn't quit working so it may be O.K. As I see it, your biggest problem is that something is coming apart in your engine if you have metal in your oil. My guess if it's not the hpop is it would be lifter failure which may have sent some metal through your low pressure pump. When metal goes through a lpop, a lot of times it will scratch the aluminum front cover that houses it behind the pump which will cause a drop of oil pressure (maybe not enough to shut down the engine). The high temp issue probably has something to do with the oil cooler clogging, possibly with metal fragments. Of course I'm not there to check things out so I may be all wrong but from my limited knowledge, I'd say you have a big problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.