Egr plugged? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to pudil45
Egr plugged?

How often does your egr get plugged? This is the 3rd to like since September

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

How often do you let it idle? I've also noticed adding cetane booster helps keep it clean..and run the truck like you stole it every once in awhile to keep her clean. These 6.0s love it when you smash the skinny pedal
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM

It idles a bit due to always stopping in traffic to put signs out, but I get on it quite a bit. Should've bought another 7.3

Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 AM

Take the EGR out. The trucks do like to be worked though. If I don't run mine for a while I take it out for a good ride and put it through some full boost runs.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 AM

I drive interstate at least hour a day. Pretty aggressively. I think it may come down to bulletproofing this winter

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

6.0 is a great engine, just have to keep up on routine maintenance and monitor it. But with aftermarket upgrades you can make all of the 6.0 problems disappear. If your job requires you to idle a bit, I'd run Cetane booster through it..maybe even consider an EGR delete, they're relatively inexpensive. Or just get proficient with cleaning the EGR and do it regularly. Obviously its not hard to take out..2 screws and a sensor, but if your EGR is getting coked up, imagine what its doing to the intake.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 AM

Just quoted egr delete they want 1100 and 4000 for gaskets/studs. Told em to go fly a kite

Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

yea..I'd do it myself. basic tools and a few hours and you could have it done for just the cost of the Delete..(think like $200 or so) You'll basically need 7/16 deep for CAC (maybe even a 7/16 wrench..some of my CAC studs were really long), 10mm and 8mm for bolts, pry bar (for turbo), pliers (for clamps), some extensions, 3/8 drive, 3/8 swivel...I'd just set a Saturday or sunday aside for the work..or even just a good full evening worth.

Edit: Oh yea, and some rags and Torx (30 and 45 IIRC) for the intake-fuel/oil bowls, Adjustable wrench for fuel lines, and zip ties so you don't lose the compression nuts on the fuel bowl..just a helpful hint (sucks fishing them back up with a magnet)

Last edited by dxusmc; 06-11-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 AM

What else should I do while its apart

Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

depends on the amount of coin you have laying around. You could pressure test your High pressure system just to see if you have any problems down the road since you'll already be in the valley..real easy to change parts when the truck is opened up that far. Could update your oil cooler..but I'd only recommend that if you have a problem..You should get a monitor for the 6.0 though so you can see EOT vs ECT make sure your deltas are within 15*. I also like to take apart my turbo, clean up everything inside and replace all of the gaskets and O-rings..kit is like $15. And since you'll have the intake off, maybe try cleaning it up a bit..either get it dipped at a machine shop..or try some dishsoap. If you're EGR is dirty, chances are the intake is too.

If you do decide to go this route though..Keep your valley super clean..I mean really really clean. Any debris gets into your oil will find its way to your High Pressure Oil System and most likely blow out your IPR valve. When I had my truck apart I also factored in oil/filter change, fuel filter change, and did a coolant flush to make it ELC.

To answer your question though, when you have it apart that far..your options are limitless..if you had the coin and you plan on tuning it in the future..maybe even go as far as studs and gaskets.. (that's a bit further, but you'll have the engine open enough to remove heads if you wanted to)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.