Burning Oil Intermittently? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning Oil Intermittently?

Late 06, 113,000 miles, owned for 3 years bought with 54,000:

Odd problem, i can see and smell that its burning oil, but not all the time, doesnt at WOT, can see it when stopped, or at low speeds. sometimes it will go a week before it produces. then stops, it will last for about 60 seconds, then nothing the rest of the day. No codes, runs great, no starting issues. most of my drive is at 40MPH of less, daily driver, no load. I have not inspected CCV or checked Oil filler cap for excessive back pressure. Have not checked for leaking EGR Tube or head gasket issue, however, i have noticed a slight consumption of coolant, CTS showing max 12* delta, (reason for BPD upgrade). Not in the budget for ARP studs at this time, that is unless testing shows otherwise. Looking for any ideas, did a search didnt find anything. Thanks.

Getting ready to install BPD oil cooler, EGR Tube, STC fitting, Stand Pipes,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

How do you know it's oil ?
What is the color ?
Is the ficm putting out 48 volts??
It may very well be the coolant hitting the combustion chamber too. ?? EGR cooler maybe.
Stuck EGR ??
You need to some checking:
Pull the EGR and look into manifold for water/coolant.
Check the ficm output.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
How do you know it's oil ?
What is the color ?
Is the ficm putting out 48 volts??
It may very well be the coolant hitting the combustion chamber too. ?? EGR cooler maybe.
Stuck EGR ??
You need to some checking:
Pull the EGR and look into manifold for water/coolant.
Check the ficm output.
it has a blue hue to it, smells like it. does'nt act like steam. Will a bad EGR tube be intermittent?
FICM voltage is good, have it displayed on CTS, repaired two years ago by FICMRepair.com.
If the EGR is stuck would that throw a code?
I have all the parts already from BPD, oil cooler, EGR Cooling Tube, STC fitting etc.
I guess I will find out soon enough but was looking for information, tests, checks to perform before I begin the BPD mods.

Its a weird problem as it doesn't seen to do it all the time. I'm wondering if I should reseal the injectors while I have it apart.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I bet your EGR is all piled up with carbon if you haven't cleaned it for more than a few years. It will hang up and yea it can do it off and on.
It will idle bad too, pull yours out and clean it up. Also make sure there are no nicks or flaws in the O-rings to it because that will also cause issues.
Start there and it's free.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I bet your EGR is all piled up with carbon if you haven't cleaned it for more than a few years. It will hang up and yea it can do it off and on.
It will idle bad too, pull yours out and clean it up. Also make sure there are no nicks or flaws in the O-rings to it because that will also cause issues.
Start there and it's free.
Copy that. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

Update found the cause not the reason

Its a theory, stick with me. Just finishing up a BPD oil cooler relocate, egr cooling tube. Turbo seal (turbine side) was my oil leak. The amount of carbon, oil wetness leaves no doubt. I have read everything I can on CCV's, Catch Cans, Reroute. Here is the theory: I have over 3000 hours on the engine, 113,000 miles. Turbo was most likely due for overhaul, however, let's focus on crankcase pressure. I notice when removing the airfilter, induction tube the CCV fitting is indexed incorrectly. On aircraft systems the slanted tube points aft to create suction. Mine was facing the airfilter, thus pressurizing the CCV, and the weakest escape was through the turbo oil return line and out the worn seal. Anyone else have this observation, theory?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

I doubt there is any pressure from the orientation of the tube in the intake, that would be in excess of any source of crankcase pressure. I could be wrong, but there would still might be a slight venturi effect regardless of the orientation. The fact that we see oil in thr pre-turbo intake seems to indicate movement in the correct direction.

As you noticed, oil has to burn incompletely to give smoke and smell, so as in your case the turbo rear seal was a prime candidate. Remember that your turbine side has a large pressure differential into the oil, not out except at low power settings.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 06-24-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
I doubt there is any pressure from the orientation of the tube in the intake, that would be in excess of any source of crankcase pressure. I could be wrong, but there would still might be a slight venturi effect regardless of the orientation. The fact that we see oil in thr pre-turbo intake seems to indicate movement in the correct direction.

As you noticed, oil has to burn incompletely to give smoke and smell, so as in your case the turbo rear seal was a prime candidate. Remember that your turbine side has a large pressure differential into the oil, not out except at low power settings.
I agree, its obvious that at low rpm CCP > than ram pressure, and at some point we have to explain the oil in the induction system, and why all of us are not blowing oil out of every nook and cranny, that would be related to the location of the tube, diameter, angle of bevel. It just doesn't make sense to have that tube facing up stream unless they want a slight case pressure, but that goes against everything I know. Sure would like to get the real theory of operation on this. In the mean time I'm waiting for the rebuild kit. Can't wait to see if it runs! Hind sight is always 20/20, should have inspected the turbo first, ordered parts sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.