Miss #8 contribution code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Miss #8 contribution code

Well lets start from the beginning I have had a contribution code in my truck for a while but recently it has begun to miss at initial startup and just missing the low end power. I have not dug in yet cause I wanna get some other options before I go throwing parts at it. First thing first the truck has become more smokey and takes a while for the charger to light off correctly. Once the charger lights it hits full boost at 28-30lbs it just doesn't pull as hard as it use to. My ficm volts are kinda questionable sometimes dipping down to 46.5 but always returning to 48.0-48.5. Ipr and calculated pressure all seem good maxing out around 3000 psi so I don't think it's a hpo leak. What I have found is as I hit the skinny pedal my fuel pressure will almost always spike the 100psi gauge doesn't seem to affect performance but doesn't seem right at all. The gauge has a brand new sending unit and is tapped right into the test port. Truck has 120000 and all mods are in sig. Anyone got anything I can check or have had similar problems that could lend some advice thanks ahead of time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Well went out and did a few more tests cranking my ficm drops way down to 35 volts my voltage hovers around 11.5 then jumps up to 13.2. Still got the #8 contribution code after clearing but it sounds like I'm in need of a ficm.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I see hpop pressure as high as 3900 when I am in it hard ?? The smoke is most likely from lazy spool valves if the ficm voltage is low.
What do you mean by : the charger ??

Get the ficm fixed then see how it behaves IMO
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM

The turbo is the charger lol but that 3000 psi isn't really wide open I don't really ever open her all the way up. But I'm definitely gonna order a bpd ficm and see how it acts then.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Ordered the bpd ficm 4phase should be here by Tuesday next week wasn't gonna pay the high shipping cost to overnight it.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM

No one has any ideas on the fuel pressure spiking only thing I'm leaning towards is a bad seal on the injector or my regulator hanging up and causing pressure to spike high.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM

I would lean towards the regulator hanging up on the return line. I would also take a look at the icp and ipr values at: idle/1500/2500 all at operating temp @195 degrees. The second generation hpop runs just over 4100 psi forget exact top pressure. Your miss may very well go away with a healthy ficm.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for a healthy ficm. My ipr and icp doesn't seem like its acting up. I know at idle the calculated pressure is only 450-500 @190 operating temp sounds about normal. Never really had a problem with rough starts unless it was winter time. It would buck and carry on but that sounds like the ficm starting to fail. Guess I gotta wait till Tuesday when it comes and see how it affects it.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM

I am surprised it runs at those pressures. The PCM turns on the ficm at 500 psi and normal ICP pressure at idle is 580 and 21% IPR. I lost all my figures through the different rpm's but can look them back up.
I know that the ICP pressures at upper rpm's under a load are around 3900 psi. This pressure is what puts the fuel in at the injectors. You may have a ICP that's off a bit but maybe not. I would take a close look at it and the pigtail and check for any oil coming out of it. I will look up the ICP values at the different rpm's and you can compare it to your truck.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Alright great thanks maybe this is a little further of an issue then I thought I know the ipr is at 21% at idle with the reading fluxuating anywhere from mid 400 to mid 500 I should try disconnecting the sensor and see if it the idle smooths out a bit. I wish I could go get some more reading but I'm on nights tonight so won't be able to till the morning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.