2005 6.0 Hot start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 Hot start problem

Ok guys I have 2005 Powerstroke with 120k. My mods include Volant air intake, EGR delete, Edge Platinum performance module and Magnaflow exhaust from Turbo back.
My issue started about month ago. When I cold start she starts well no problems. But once she runs and is hot takes a long time to crank Feels lilke gonna leave me stranded. All my routine maintainence is up to date. New filters and oil change. No DTC codes on my Edge module popping up! Have appt with local dealer. What I'm seeing posted is High pressure oil side! Dummy plugs, STC fitting,ICP issue? Any response would be appreciated. Just wanna have some facts before I go to the Ford dealer!
Thanks Powerstroke Family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Yep to all of the above. I am currently dealing with this issue and found that my injector 0rings were bad. The dealer will probably do an air test. I stayed for mine. The oil "manifold" ( somebody smarter than I am correctly call it). Was also leaking around the nipples on it. This has been a hard, expensive month for me and the 6.0.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

keep on eye on your batteries, I also been having same issues,replaced dummy plugs and stand pipes with the updated ones,couple of injectors,new Icp,and today 2 new batteries because one of them was weak and theses beasts demand alot of cranking amps to fired them up
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks for feedback
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM

Hot start issue

Well the diagnosis is in Oil rail plugs and ICP fitting kit are leaking and need to be changed! Parts not that bad $300-400 but the labor is the big part of the price! At the local dealer I'm being quoted $2000. I know its a big job and I can't fix it but it stings when you get that price. I think they call for about 15hrs labor. Seems excessive but I'm not the expert. But I know the FORD Experts surf this site an their input is appreciated. Anyway she gonna get fixed!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 AM

The independant shop who did my heads studs (and dummy plugs/standpipes at the same time) charged my 20 or 25 hours labor for the whole deal.

15 hours seems quite a bit high for just the plugs. I don't know what is right, but I am thinking it should be closer to 3 hours.

MikeB
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM

I would say give it a shot. I did mine a few months back and its ALOT easier than you think. Spent about 7 hrs each side and I took my time and cleaned everything really good. Only thing that isnt a "common" tool per se is cherry picker. Youll have to lift the pass. Side up with the picker about 2 in to remove the standpipe. You could use a floor jack and some wood im sure though. Other than that youll need a torque wrench that can do 60lbs I think, a 12mm hex bit or torx 60, and I believe a 10mm hex bit. Id the standpipe splits (one of mine did) youll have to remove the oil rail with a t30 and im not 100% but I think they are 12 lbs. I planned on using a 4 day to do this but I did it no problem in 2. The hours I put in include prep and cleanup and starting. I can look into it and tell you the exact specs if you need.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 AM

Well got her back on Friday earlier that expected. The tech also found a heater hose that was about to start leaking so he changed it. He also showed me all the parts and the wear on them and explained everything in detail. I was really impressed! He changed the oil stand pipes, dummy pipes, STC fitting and heater hose. Cost me 2200.00 but I didn't realize how fast the truck could actually start. I satisfied with the work peformed and would definitly recommmend the diesel tech at local dealership to fellow Powerstrokers! Have a Great WEEK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hot start problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.