White Smoke After Collar Blew Off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke After Collar Blew Off

2004 6.0 with 130,000 miles. I was pulling travel trailer uphill and heard a loud pop under the hood. Pulled over and found that the blue rubber collar had popped off the tube that comes from the turbo. I put it back on and drove another 5 miles to the camp. When I came to a stop I noticed white smoke pouring out the exhaust. Still seems to run fine and no warnings on the dash. Gauges read fine.

I bought this truck 3 weeks ago and this is the first Ford I've owned. I'm not a mechanic. I've seen the other posts regarding white smoke, but this seems a little different than the other situations. I appreciate any advice before I take it back to the dealer Monday. I've included a pic of the blue collar I referenced above.
White Smoke After Collar Blew Off-image.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

is the smell sweet if so egr cooler with out a doubt.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cranked it up to see how it smelled and its not doing it now. I'm still hooked up to trailer, but will drop it in the morning and take the truck for a spin to see if it does it again. If it is the EGR, will it hurt it to drive it?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 AM

If you drive it with a ruptured cooler your going to mix coolant with oil so yes. Keep a eye on your coolant bottle also for level change and oil mixing in it. If you have gauges or some thing like it keep your eyes on eigine oil temp and coolant temp
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
If you drive it with a ruptured cooler your going to mix coolant with oil so yes. Keep a eye on your coolant bottle also for level change and oil mixing in it. If you have gauges or some thing like it keep your eyes on eigine oil temp and coolant temp

the only way you get oil in your water is the oil cooler ruptures not if you have an egr cooler bad.if you continue to drive it with bad egr cooler it will lift the heads if it hasn't already.i have literally had to do an egr del on the side of the road when i was out of state "beats paying a 1500 dollar tow bill" lol.

if i can help in anyway please let me know.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: i cranked it up this morning. White smoke returned. I guess I'm wondering if that tube popping off could actually cause the EGR cooler to go out, or if the tube popping off caused something different that just has symptoms of EGR cooler going out.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Oops sorry for earlier read it wrong guess I need my coffee
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman Jr. View Post
UPDATE: i cranked it up this morning. White smoke returned. I guess I'm wondering if that tube popping off could actually cause the EGR cooler to go out, or if the tube popping off caused something different that just has symptoms of EGR cooler going out.

IT IS YOUR EGR COOLER HANDS DOWN.check your degas bottle and see if it's low on coolant or has any.i would say it's low and the reason for that is that it's being pushed out of the egr cooler due to a ruptured one.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
Oops sorry for earlier read it wrong guess I need my coffee

that's why i don't drink it lmao.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Final Outcome

Well, you guys were absolutely right. It was the EGR Cooler. The good news is the dealership paid for the repair since I had only put 1,000 miles on it since I bought it from them. No warranty, they just wanted to do what they thought was the right thing to do and stand behind what they sold me. I've known the owner for a while and think very highly of him. I found out he instructed the service manager to make the repair without even knowing who it was for. When it comes time to buy the next vehicle, I know where I'll be going. For anyone interested it is Cleburne Ford in Cleburne, Texas. The owner is Bobby De La Garza, and his manager is Al Archer who is also a man of good character.

I appreciate the diagnostic help, guys. It prevented me from driving it and possibly creating much more damage.

Thanks
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diesel, ford 6.0, turbo, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.