Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck Start Issues

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tatertot 
#1 ·
Hi there, my name is DJ. I am new to this site.

I just bought an 06 Ford F-250 powerstroke 4x4 about 2 weeks ago. about 3 days into driving it, It wouldnt start. So I did some research and found out that my FICM went out on me. So I got a new one to replace it. Got it to start, but here is the catch. It starts when the engine is cold or hasnt been ran awhile. When the engine is warm, it won't start. I can keep cranking on it till my batteries die and won't start. The batteries are good, so the only thing I can think of is high pressure oil. There are no puffs of smoke when it cranks over. So, I did a little more research and found that my HPOP STC took a dump. My father in law and I took it apart and found that the old fitting was bad and replaced it. Well, I'm still having the same startup issues. Starts when engine is cold, but not when it has been ran. What other possiblities could this issue be? I'm clueless. It drives great when it's running. Just starts up funky.

#6 ·
You forgot to mention the notorious STC fitting.
The STC fitting connects the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) to the high pressure oil system on the 05-up engines.
This fitting is more or less the same style fitting you would find on a shop airline. If you have been around any of them ever, you hear them leaking all the time.
The fitting fails internally over time and leaks. Sometimes the STC fitting will fail catastrophically and shoot out into (or through) the rear cover of the engine, but most times they stay intact and just leak like a sieve.
Being that your truck is an '06, and given the 100% failure rate of this fitting, my best internet mechanics' :)rofl:) guess is that this is likely the source of your problem. (been there myself already)
The replacement fitting (available HERE) is a straight fitting and very reasonably priced.
Not too difficult of a job to do out in your driveway in an afternoon if you have a really good set of tools (metric and ASE wrenches, sockets, swivels etc).
That huge beast under the hood only appears intimidating the first time you wrench on it. It isn't nearly as bad as you think.

#3 ·
Sounds like a high pressure oil leak. Best way to find it is to apply air pressure to the system via the icp port. Then listen for where the air leak is coming from.

#7 · (Edited)

I took the icp sensor down to a hose shop, and got the fitting on the bottom that threads into the icp port, and then it's an 1/8 in 37* jic on top so I can put an air fitting on, or my manual gauge. Currently my air fitting is on.

#8 ·
You must also close the IPR when doing your air test. If you have a ae it is easy to do or get a pigtail and extend the wires to the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.