Truck Start Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Start Issues

Hi there, my name is DJ. I am new to this site.

I just bought an 06 Ford F-250 powerstroke 4x4 about 2 weeks ago. about 3 days into driving it, It wouldnt start. So I did some research and found out that my FICM went out on me. So I got a new one to replace it. Got it to start, but here is the catch. It starts when the engine is cold or hasnt been ran awhile. When the engine is warm, it won't start. I can keep cranking on it till my batteries die and won't start. The batteries are good, so the only thing I can think of is high pressure oil. There are no puffs of smoke when it cranks over. So, I did a little more research and found that my HPOP STC took a dump. My father in law and I took it apart and found that the old fitting was bad and replaced it. Well, I'm still having the same startup issues. Starts when engine is cold, but not when it has been ran. What other possiblities could this issue be? I'm clueless. It drives great when it's running. Just starts up funky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stand pipes, dummy plugs, injector o rings... Sounds like a high pressure oil leak. Monitor your ICP while cranking. It needs to read at least 500psi for the engine to start.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like a high pressure oil leak. Best way to find it is to apply air pressure to the system via the icp port. Then listen for where the air leak is coming from.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does this take a special fitting to inject the air pressure? I'm new to this diesel mechanic stuff, so I don't know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, for the dummy plugs and oil rails, do I need two each? One dummy plug and oil rail on one side and the other two on the other side?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250SixOH View Post
Stand pipes, dummy plugs, injector o rings... Sounds like a high pressure oil leak. Monitor your ICP while cranking. It needs to read at least 500psi for the engine to start.
You forgot to mention the notorious STC fitting.
The STC fitting connects the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) to the high pressure oil system on the 05-up engines.
This fitting is more or less the same style fitting you would find on a shop airline. If you have been around any of them ever, you hear them leaking all the time.
The fitting fails internally over time and leaks. Sometimes the STC fitting will fail catastrophically and shoot out into (or through) the rear cover of the engine, but most times they stay intact and just leak like a sieve.
Being that your truck is an '06, and given the 100% failure rate of this fitting, my best internet mechanics' () guess is that this is likely the source of your problem. (been there myself already)
The replacement fitting (available HERE) is a straight fitting and very reasonably priced.
Not too difficult of a job to do out in your driveway in an afternoon if you have a really good set of tools (metric and ASE wrenches, sockets, swivels etc).
That huge beast under the hood only appears intimidating the first time you wrench on it. It isn't nearly as bad as you think.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took the icp sensor down to a hose shop, and got the fitting on the bottom that threads into the icp port, and then it's an 1/8 in 37* jic on top so I can put an air fitting on, or my manual gauge. Currently my air fitting is on.

Last edited by Trucknt; 05-30-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You must also close the IPR when doing your air test. If you have a ae it is easy to do or get a pigtail and extend the wires to the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford f-250 06, issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.