HPOP problem, need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP problem, need advice

Alright this is a long story so bear with me,I work on helicopters for the air force and am mechanically inclined but I do not feel like I could do this on my own. I bought a 6.0 diesel about 3 months ago, the truck ran good up until about a month ago. I took it to what i thought was a good diesel mechanic. He ran a test and said I wasnt getting enough oil pressure to my injectors, 200 psi. So he changed out the IPR, and it ran fine for two weeks. I got bad diesel and it clogged up my filters, he changed them and it idled and then died. He then ran another oil pressure test and told me it was only getting 500 psi on crank, but my fuel was fine at 55 psi. He said my HPOP was bad, and quoted me $2400, including 16 hours of labor (BULL****). I am now in the process of towing it to another shop to get it done for $1400. He told me it needs 1500 psi on crank oil pressure wise. The shop that its getting towed to is highly recommended by all my diesel buddies. The shop wants to run a $300 test by pumping 2000 psi of nitrogen to find the leak. He is saying that it might infact not be the HPOP. Do you think I need to run this test before forking out 1400 dollars for the HPOP? I would hate to spend the 300 dollars on the test and its the hpop but on the other hand i dont want to change the hpop if its not needed. I need some advice bad, i would appreciate any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackpowerstroke View Post
Alright this is a long story so bear with me,I work on helicopters for the air force and am mechanically inclined but I do not feel like I could do this on my own. I bought a 6.0 diesel about 3 months ago, the truck ran good up until about a month ago. I took it to what i thought was a good diesel mechanic. He ran a test and said I wasnt getting enough oil pressure to my injectors, 200 psi. So he changed out the IPR, and it ran fine for two weeks. I got bad diesel and it clogged up my filters, he changed them and it idled and then died. He then ran another oil pressure test and told me it was only getting 500 psi on crank, but my fuel was fine at 55 psi. He said my HPOP was bad, and quoted me $2400, including 16 hours of labor (BULL****). I am now in the process of towing it to another shop to get it done for $1400. He told me it needs 1500 psi on crank oil pressure wise. The shop that its getting towed to is highly recommended by all my diesel buddies. The shop wants to run a $300 test by pumping 2000 psi of nitrogen to find the leak. He is saying that it might infact not be the HPOP. Do you think I need to run this test before forking out 1400 dollars for the HPOP? I would hate to spend the 300 dollars on the test and its the hpop but on the other hand i dont want to change the hpop if its not needed. I need some advice bad, i would appreciate any.
The truck only needs to make 500 psi of HPO to fire the injectors at startup. Where are you located?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

valdosta ga, they are running diagnostics on it now. I just was going through receipts that came with the truck and the HPOP was changed out 4 months ago at a ford dealership.. So i am totally lost with this right now.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Banned

Chances are if it does in fact have a issue with the HPO system it is related to the ICP sensor and pigtail. Being that it is a 03, those ICP sensors would fail and leak oil into the pigtail. You should have them check that first before they do anything else. If they are bad you can use the ICP sensor from a 05-07 truck and they rarely fail. Replace that and the harness and test again.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

they ran the tests and found that the tubes from the HPOP were full of metal and the hpop was trashed
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They replaced everything and truck cranks and runs good, but now they are saying that pipe for the egr delete is leaking coolant and wont seat in the intake. Another 560$ to pull off the intake and install it again. This truck is breaking me so hard I cant believe it
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

Dude fix that yourself. It's not bad and save that $560.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.