Oil pressure problem at 1800 psi - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil pressure problem at 1800 psi

Ok guys after looking for a leak awhile back ago and finding out it was my HPOP that was on the way out. I have another know it happens at 1800 psi WOT that is all the higher it will go and the IPR will hit 85& on the AE when this shows. Truck runs fine and starts fine 700 IPR and 25% on crank every time with the AE running which shows the desired and actual for ICP. It will do this till I hit 1800 then just stay there.

What I have already done on the old leak HPOP, IPR, ICP and pigtail air test afterward and nothing with 250 PSI that is all my air compressor has.

SO where do I start on this one. Thinking possibly oil rail nipples, oil flex line to rail or maybe even standpipes just can not get anything to leak with the air supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Unfortunately the PIDs used are the ones that can be altered. If you are running any performance tune the AE will not read correct ICP or voltage unless it is a stock tune, or one that does not alter either value to the PCM.

Now, if you are set stock and it is only 1800psi, then it will be difficult to find. If it is the IPR it may be easier to determine and replace. If it is an o-ring, it should get worse soon enough as the oil tears away at the damaged area.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Unfortunately the PIDs used are the ones that can be altered. If you are running any performance tune the AE will not read correct ICP or voltage unless it is a stock tune, or one that does not alter either value to the PCM.

Now, if you are set stock and it is only 1800psi, then it will be difficult to find. If it is the IPR it may be easier to determine and replace. If it is an o-ring, it should get worse soon enough as the oil tears away at the damaged area.
It will read correct voltage just not correct ICP if your running a performance tune with the ICP tables altered.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Bryan, unless I misread it the other day (which may be entirely possible), it did not read the voltage PID correctly either. I was surprised it didn't read voltage as true. It is quite possible the pressure PID altered actually comes from the alterable voltage PID. I never saw more than 2.4v from the AE, no matter what I did, unless I loaded a stock tune.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Well put it back to stock and drove it hard for a while and it is still doing the same thing hits the wall at 1800 psi and will not go any further. So I guess i'm back to air testing it again. I'll have to find a place to get a nitrogen bottle at and gauges and test it to 1800 psi where it seems to leak at.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM

I'll set it to volts when I drive it on Friday and post back what I see just had the psi up.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

If you use high pressure, ensure your fitting is a high-pressure fitting. Many of the M12x1.5 adapters are low pressure rated. Once the oil is out of the way, air at a mid-level pressure will find its way out of a leaking seal.

Due to you setting it back to stock and trying it with voltage, you will see the mid-level voltage to correspond to 1800 psi.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-29-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: voltage
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Some 03's and 04's had an issue with the HPOP Discharge Tube rubbing the cover and causing a leak, mine did. Heres a pic of the tube with a hole rubbed in it. I replaced my cover with the updated cover which has a recessed place in the cover for the discharge tube. Just something to think about. Having an 03 myself, I can relate. Mine did almost exactly the same thing as yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf2j7i4y3cwu7sd/Tube_2.jpg
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM

That what I was thinking going to have to find a fitting for the high pressure and not use a brass fitting. I checked the discharge tube on the pump when I replaced that a month ago no scratches on it at all but it could be the oring in it where it connects to the down pipe. Never know till I put pressure to it. Lucky me I know where I can get another set of rails and replace the seals in the cups and if that's not it i'm only out 50.00.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Well guys could not wait to take it apart again when I got home and man did I get lucky. Passenger side test port plug had a blown ring on it. Before I replaced it had the wife start it and stand on the brakes while reving it to get to 1800 psi oil started to come out of the plug at 1000 psi guess I got lucky. Put it back toghther and all is good know. That I think was one of the easier fixes on it. Back to putting the tune back on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.