Another low Fuel pressure post... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another low Fuel pressure post...

I have been searching the forums for an answer but all the low fuel pressure threads seem to point in the direction of the blue spring upgrade.

I installed the blue spring about a month ago, obviously to help my fuel pressure. It bumped it up only about 5 PSI to get me 58 PSI Idle, 45 WOT. Not as much as I was hoping. Since then I have slowly been losing fuel pressure, tried swapping out the filters (International), cycled the key 3 times to let the air out, no change. Fuel pressure is slowly but surly dropping. It has recently, after sitting for a few hours, started up and had about 40-45 PSI and taken a minute or two to build up to the 52 at Idle, 30 WOT (I think it will go lower but dont push it). I don't have any leaks around the Primary or secondary fuel filters, and I'm currently sitting at 1/2 a tank.

Does this sound like a dying fuel pump?

..... Im going to throw this in here too, not sure if its unrelated. I have a leak in the back of the engine, passengers side down to the starter, bell housing, oil pan in between the two, and the transmission lines around there. I think its originating from the passengers side valve cover. Its slightly gray in color so I think it might be a mix of oil and.... something...
Its not enough to leave a puddle but at any given time there will be a few drips in said places. Have tried multiple times cleaning and checking

help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Yes, your pump is more than likely weak or dying. However, you could have a small blockage/restriction in the low point of the HFCM.

Your slow oil drip could be from anywhere above that point as well, including accessories in the valley or even the rear seal. A very slow drip or a weep is nothing to be concerned about. Spending 100s or 1,000s to find or fix a non-critical drip is something I would not do. However, I do not like the occasional drip that comes off on to my garage floor or driveway.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Im at 194xxx miles so Im thinking the pump is dying. looking for a good price right now. Gonna just keep an eye on my fluids as far as the leak goes.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

The pump can be found by itself for around 180.00 from various places, ebay, pensacola diesel, etc. You can find the whole HFCM from various for 200.00 on up. Just a note, one time I forgot to put the o-ring for the plastic insert in the fuel pressure manifold, and it caused erratic and low pressure readings.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM

... well that could be part of the problem, When I was putting the blue spring in a had an extra O ring or two as I put it together the best it made sense to me. Might be worth checking out.
Im waiting on my fuel pump to get here. I went ahead and got the entire HFCM. If that doesn't fix the problem Ill take a look at the O rings!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Today I got a new Motorcraft HFCM and installed it. my Fuel pressure is 53-54 Idle and 45 WOT. It maintains PSI allot better but i still feel like it should be higher then that. (fuel filters are brand new) Any Ideas? I hear the sending unit in the tank can cause some problems, could that be the culprit?

I have an analog fuel pressure test kit that I'll hook up and see if the Edge sensor isn't reading correctly but for how new it is and how much I spent on it I would imagine its fine.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

You are spec or close to with the new pump. It certainly would be a good idea to confirm your sensor and monitor are set up correctly.

Have you noticed any fuel in your oil? More than likely this isn't a problem, but a slight leak in the fuel rails or at an injector could be contributing to lower pressure, and it would be easy to notice the extra level in the oil pan.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM

With the blue spring upgrade Ive head most people have numbers more around 65/50.

Its hard to tell, last oil change I might have filled her up a little too much and the oil level goes to the top of the plastic. I have a small consistent oil leak so I figured over time it would leak down to a suitable level.

I do have a #2 contribution code and I just replaced that injector 3 months ago? When I clear it, it comes back a few days later.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM

P.S. got on it a little harder today and got the PSI down to 35 before I let off
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

If you are running a max fuel tune 2.68ms PW, it is possible you could get 35psi, but for a lesser tune on stock sticks it is unlikely you would see <45psi. Your pressure should be higher, especially with the blue spring update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.