Popping at Intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Popping at Intake

Just got a 04 e350 box truck for an extremely good price. Truck runs but has a constant popping through the intake. Guy said he pulled into his driveway and it started popping. He shut it down and it sat since then. I pulled codes and got a P2262 turbo charger boost pressure not detected (mechanical) Pulled the turbo, it spins freely. I split the turbo and found the unison ring/vane ring siezed. vanes closed. Could this be causing the popping through the intake? There was also an egr code. I tried cleaning up the turbo but found the pitting is extremely bad and dont want to go through putting this one back in and having to take it out again when it siezes again. Just wondering if the turbo issue would or could cause the popping through the intake. Ive read a lot about valve train issues causing popping and maybe one or two instances about the turbo. Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yes it would, anytime the vanes are stuck all the way open or closed,, the turbo will make all kinds of noises,,, my wires going to my vgt solenoid, shorted out, and my turbo made the worse popping noise you have ever heard, this also led to a over ref situation , which caused me to break 2 rocker arms and bend to push rods. fixed the wires fixed the rocker arms and push rods,,, everything is great now,,,,

early 04 f350, crew cab, long bed,
rebuilt motor,
arp head studs
egr delete
blue spring
k&N cold air
6in lift 35x12.5x20 20 in massi rims
4in turbo back straight piped
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Went and bought a reman unit today to the tune of $1069.99. Ouch. While ive got the up pipes off i figured I would go ahead and block off the egr cooler. Measured the hole in the pipe and found it to be extremely close to the diameter of a chevy 6.5 turbo diesel exhaust valve. Just happened to have about 10 cracked 6.5 heads floating around the shop so I popped a valve out, chucked it in my drill and gave it a quick grind on the bench grinder, then cut off the stem and dropped it in the hole on the pipe, stem side in. I ran a nice bead of weld around it and I am real happy with it. Now back in with the turbo I go. Boy its going to be fun trying to weasel the thing back in and get the drain tube hooked up.

Hoping the popping was only turbo, the econoline cab does not look to fun to get at the rockers/pushrods etc. at all.

Another question...With the egr cooler blocked off is there any reason for me to make a spool to put in place of the egr valve? Maybe keep any residual carbon from going through intake? Would it keep antifreeze from intake if for some freak reason the egr cooler ruptures without hot exhaust going through it?

Thanks for looking

Will
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM

turbo in, popping noise still there only now i can hear the turbo working. Damn. What am I looking at now? Bent valve, pushrod, stuck lifter? wouldnt be as simple as a broke rocker arm because valve would stay closed then correct? Do I have to pull the engine to do these repairs? I cannot see enough clearance to get a pushrod out of the motor while its in the truck. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Will
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hmm, you need to hook a scanner up to it their is bound to be codes,, you need to check your wires going to your vgt solenoid, check for any chaffing, parts for these trucks are to expensive just to go guessing,, I don't know if you know this, you put a new turbo in your truck, so it has to go though the learning process again as well, keep me informed like to know how this turns out, normally from my understanding when you here something popping though the intake it's the turbo, I would drive the truck a little , but be easy on it and see if it goes away
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a F350 6.0 popping out the intake, had over 330k miles on it. The cause was the lifter for one of the intake valves had puked the needle bearings out and the roller got stuck causing the valve to stay open. You could not see any difference in the movement of the rockers, just had a contribution code for that cylinder.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerallen33 View Post
hmm, you need to hook a scanner up to it their is bound to be codes,, you need to check your wires going to your vgt solenoid, check for any chaffing, parts for these trucks are to expensive just to go guessing,, I don't know if you know this, you put a new turbo in your truck, so it has to go though the learning process again as well, keep me informed like to know how this turns out, normally from my understanding when you here something popping though the intake it's the turbo, I would drive the truck a little , but be easy on it and see if it goes away
Definitely scanned for codes prior to purchasing the truck. Ran cyl contribution test etc. The only codes I got were the P2262 for turbo and P0401 for egr. Wires to vgt solenoid appear to be in excellent shape. I am reluctant to drive the truck while it is making this noise for fear of making the problem worse than it already is. I fully agree that the parts for this truck are expensive and throwing them at the thing is definitely not what I want to do. Turbo vane ring was siezed, housing was pitted, so I guess regardless of what is making the noise it needed a turbo.

Had truck running this morning and checked for codes, nothing came up. Went inside and let the truck idle. When I came back out the engine light was on. Scanned for codes again and got a P0273 and P0275. Cyl 5 injector circuit low, cyl 5 contribution/balance.

Now its making more sense to me. Only wierd thing is why were these codes not present before? Would the turbo code being set have anything to do with the #5 contribution code not setting?

Also buzz tested injectors. Cyl 5 does not buzz...need to check harness and verify if any chafing is going on.

A bad injector wouldnt cause popping from intake would it?

Thanks

Will
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like you have a brige cap broke.it's the piece that goes over the end of the push rod.it will be broke where it bolts to the aluminum spacer.i think the actually name is rocker assembly.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You don't have a valve bridge problem or turbo issue causing the popping noise. You have a bent intake pushrod.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM

I didnt believe a bridge cap or rocker arm assembly would cause air popping out of intake either, but why would a bent intake pushrod cause this? The popping sound seems to me would come from an intake valve stuck open. Is the bent pushrod binding and holding valve open? if so how likely is it that the valve is bent or broke as well, maybe even piston damage? And the idea of a bent pushrod is boggling to the mind as well. Lifter stuck up, valve open, piston hits valve and bends pushrod?

I think I know by now I have to open the beast up for a gander. I needing to get at cyl 5. Does anyone know if its possible to pull passenger side motor mount and oil pan and lower engine closer to crossmember and get the clearance to get a pushrod out/in?> if so that would be great. at this point that is what Im hoping it is and not a valve/lifter etc. I went through the AllData instructions to remove engine and man I had enough troubles with a squeezing a 4.9 in a e250 and a 350 in a 1 ton savanna. This 6.0 is really crammed up in there.

I am contemplating removing the 16 ft box and pulling the cab instead of the lengthy 69 step engine removal procedure. And to think, pulling them out is the easy part, getting them in the real deal.

Thanks all for your input thus far. Keep it coming!

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.