Was running good than died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was running good than died

Hello all,
I purchased an 03 last summer as a non running project, pulled the motor, gave it a good going through and been using it pretty regularly since. I had posted a couple threads here duroing my "journey" I had one bad injector I had to go beck in for early on, but since then I have put on about 5000 trouble free km. Until today. As I neared home coming from work, accelerating away from a stop sign, the truck all of a sundden really seemed to lose power and quiet down. It was still running, but lost the diesel clatter. Once I took my foot off the gas, it died, and wont restart. It cranks over, but thats all. Set my edge monitor and the HPO shows about 65 psi while cranking. Is it posible for a piece of debris after this amount of time and mileage to have made its way to the IPR valve? If so, is it cleanable? I put in a new IPR sensor and control solenoid when the engine was out. I hate to put in a new one again. I just hope its not the oil pump. I never had hot starting problems or any other hiccups before this. Just last weekend I did 600km of towing and it never missed a beat.

Any idea's or suggestions are welcome.

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM

I have codes P2290 and P2291. Cold with the key on the pressure is at 35 psi, cranking hits 140psi. Voltage was.2 before cranking and .4 while cranking. I will start by swapping out the IPR sensor and control valve, and see where that leads I guess.

Anybody have fuel injector O rings where the oil rail seats come apart in the past? Its an 03, so I dont have the STC fitting that everybody else changes.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are all sorts of threads where guys have found the o-ring and clip missing out of the top of an injector. Could be the stand pipe o-ring, could be the flex line connecting the standpipe to the rail. Could also be the IPR. Pull and inspect the IPR, if it appears normal, continue to air tests. Did you update the HPO screen while it was apart? It is possible some junk make it to the IPR.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

I did change the screen with the newer stainless one. I vacuumed out all the old oil and swabbed the tray and oil passageway the best I could at the time.

The flex hose fittings or injector is what I am scared of. I dont feel like tearing it down again.....Oh, well, it is what it is I guess. I'll get it pushed into the garage and start ripping in. I believe I kept the old IPR tha I removed, maybe a simple swap will do the trick. Nah , I wouldnt be that lucky.....
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM

Ahh come on, you dont have to tear it too far. IPR can be checked with an IPR socket, unbolting the degas and pulling the FICM. After that, you're that much closer to being able to do an air test. Does the dummy gauge on the dash rise to normal during cranking?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes, the oil pressure on the gauge will read after cranking for a bit. One I get it in the garage, and get all the tools and odds and ends lined up, I will be good to go. Except I will need to find a IPR socket.... When the motor was out I just used an open end wrench. I dont think that will fly now....
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM

IPR socket...
Lisle 68210 IPR Socket for Ford Diesel : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 68210 IPR Socket for Ford Diesel : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 AM

I found the socket locally and pulled the IPR valve. The screen is shredded. I thought I had everything clean when I built the engine, I guess not good enough. Or would something other than contamination cause this? I had kept the old valve until recently, and threw it out maybe a couple weeks ago. There was nothing wrong with it, I just changed it for preventitive measure. Off to the dealership with my first born.....

Now to my question, it has happened once, It has about 6k km (4k miles)on the motor since the overhaul, can I expect it to happen again? Or is it safe to assume its a one shot deal.....Since I spend time off the beaten track here and in Northern montana, should I keep some tools and a spare valve under the seat?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 PM

If you updated the HPO screen while you were in there, then the only thing I think would trash a fairly new IPR would be the HPO pump itself. Was there any metal debris in the valve? Then again, it may have just been a faulty screen. Maybe just as a PM, try installing the updated IPR screen on the new valve.IPR Screen Replacement Kit

You can fimd it cheaper than that, I was just using that as a point of reference. I went to the dealership to get mine, dont remember what i paid for it, but if It wasnt for the half assed part number I had, they never would have found it and didnt know what I was talking about. After you get the new valve in, do an air test for the HPO pump, as precautionary, so you dont trash another valve. Good luck
Old 06-01-2013, 03:03 PM

P.S. I cant believe you threw out a functioning IPR
Lets see.... Ive got an ICP under the seat.. Changed as PM
A cam sensor... Changed for an occasional code
Standpipes... For the next time I'm in there, and jus because
HFCM... Changed as PM
Some injectors and o-rings... Because Ive had one fail out on the road
Next to go under the seat... An IPR and the standpipe to rail flex lines
What i would love to have under the seat... A spare HPO pump

This all may sound a little ridiculous, but this truck does some travelin, like yours, into some desolate locations, and Ive been stranded 500 miles from home before with it, and dont want to hear the "this truck is a piece of ****" line from those who shall go nameless wink wink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.