Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 broken rod and busted block

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AshevilleEngine.com 
#1 ·
Thought my head gaskets blew. Took motor apart and found broken rod and busted block. It hydro locked on fuel. Any ideas on what happened? Have pics but do not know how to upload them

#2 ·
If you are sure it was fuel, it's likely an injector that failed causing the hydrolock and the block damage. What are your plans now? Are you going to build a new 6.0 powerplant or swap in something different?

#3 ·
Don't feel bad, 3 months ago I cracked both heads and busted my block. I built a new one and love it, bored it .020" over and can feel the difference in towing.

#4 ·
It's pretty tough to hydroloc an engine with fuel when you are driving down the road. You should start blowing a massive amount of black smoke first. If it was from fuel you had to dump a huge amount in it very suddenly, probably a broken injector tip and/or injector cup. I've only seen three 6.0 core engines with broken rods in the past two years so it's pretty rare. Either way, I would definitely change all the injectors when you drop the new engine in. I can help you with everything you need if you give me a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.