power loss at 2rpm/ made repairs now power loss at idle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
power loss at 2rpm/ made repairs now power loss at idle?

Thx for any help in advance.
2006 6.0 powerstroke 164,500 miles - no modifications, all factory
Sunday 5/19 pulling boat at about 55mph truck starts to stutter. I gas on it, blew black smoke (heavy) and check engine light comes on, got up to 60-65 and stutter goes and comes, go to 45 and stutters heavy. Monday, change undercarriage fuel filter and top motor fuel filter, during test found fuel pressure regulator leaking. Ordered from Ford house, replaced today and now truck in stuttering worse during idle, (which wasn't happening before), and stutters constantly unless I'm pushing over 2000rpm.? Turbo seems to be at proper pressure.
I do love my ford truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by the way, this is an awesome website, wish I would have found this years ago
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know no one has replied but I'm trying to give as much info as possible for anyone who can help. I did some more reading and decided to pull the EGR valve. It wasn't stuck but it was caked with black powder / same as an exhaust pipe, the orings were somewhat frayed, I wouldn't call it extreme. I didn't have that size orings so ill have to wait till tomorrow, but is the black powder I mentioned above normal or would the slightly damaged orings cause my problems or am I wishful thinking?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I believe im having the same issue,but its between 1800-2000rpm where the stuttering starts,then when I get on it it goes away and there is some smoke.......you have me wondering if the EGR valve needs to be pull and cleaned!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, replaced orings on EGR. Broke down and purchased a code reader INNOVA 3150. Code from service engine light is P2290 injector control pressure to low. Can anyone give me some info on this?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

From reading the first post I would have said you had an injector or 2 with stiction issues or an FICM problem. This still will need checking as some problems mask or behave like other problems.

From your code, it is most likely a wiring/plug issue or you have a high pressure oil leak. I would recommend taking back the code reader and getting a good monitor (DashBoss, Scangauge II, or all-in-one programmer/monitor) or even an Auto-Enginuity with Ford bundle (diagnostic tool). The latter will help you the most if you plan on finding and fixing this yourself. You need to determine what your IPR is doing as well, but based on the code, the IPR is closing and the ICP is not rising to meet the demand. However, the IPR reading is not the actual position of the valve, it is the commanded position, so it will require more diagnosis to find the true problem.

Search out how to find a HPO leak. You will need to buy a M12x1.5 adapter to hook up shop air to help troubleshoot the HPO system.

FWIW, Today I put my Extreme tune back on my truck and when it was cold my HPO pressure would easily reach 4000psi. When I was driving down the road as it was warming up it was stuttering a bit at 1800 rpm until it warmed up. However, once warm the stuttering went away, but the max HPO I am now getting is 3000psi when warm. The power is also lower than expected. So it looks like I will have to track down a slight HPO leak and maybe a slightly off injector. I have no codes showing, so based on what is happening, I suspect it is related to a injector to rail seal, but it could be the standpipe and dummy plugs, the STC, IPR or even the HPOP. One thing to note is that with the stock or medium tune, the lower HPO does not show itself, making this probably harder to find. Since I will be doing some modifications soon (a different set of injectors (190/50), a turbo modification and perhaps the oil cooler (delta at 10*)), I will wait a while to rip into it, unless the pressure starts to drop. This is where the monitor will probably save me from being stranded or a road side repair.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-25-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: my probable leak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.