6.0 Ele issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Ele issue?

Ok this is going to be a long post for sure. 04 will not start with icp plugged in. Starts fine with it unplugged. checked the wiring and the reference wire is the one causing the problem. Thought it could be a pcm problem so tried a different one from my 03. This is where it gets weird. With the 03 pcm the truck starts with the icp plugged in. Still dosent run great but will start and run. I thought OK bad PCM or messed up files. Bought another pcm same numbers as original and had dealer flash it. Installed on truck exact same as the original pcm "no star with icp plugged in". I had another FICM installed it no change. So on with my question. Shouldn't the truck run with or without the icp plugged in? What can it being plugged in do to cause it to crank but no start? Can it be a wiring issue if it starts with the 03 pcm but not the 04 pcm? I'm at a loss here and could use any help.

Thanks in advance
Nathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unplugging the ICP and getting a start usually means the sensor is biased. What year engine is in the truck? 03 to early 04 ICP is under the turbo. Late 04 and later, ICP is on the passenger side valve cover. Do you have a monitor to check the ICP KOEO? ICP Should be at least below 15PSI KOEO, or on an 03 with the newer sensor it may read 50-60. Also... If its an 03, the pigtail itself was known to go bad.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Late 04 "on the valve cover". This is a replacement icp valve I thought the same thing. I also changed the pig tail on the harness. What really stumps me is the fact that it will start and run with the 03 pcm and the icp plugged in. When I install the 04 pcm it will not start with the icp plugged in. Wouldn't that mean the wiring and icp are doing what they should? scanner does not show any codes other then egr which has been deleted.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Im guessing you mean this is all with a new ICP Sensor, and pigtail. The scanner you are using, does it read live data? Or is just for DTC's?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM

Id start looking at sync next.... CKP, CMP, & FICM
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im using a snap-on modis. It will read codes and live data. Yes they are in sync. I also checked for hpo leak none found. checked for debris in IPR nothing there but I had a known good IPR installed it no change. Injectors are good they pass buzz test look good on lab scope and pass cylinder cut-out. All this has been done with ICP unplugged and truck running. But when I plug the ICP in the truck dies like turning off the key.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 PM

Im not sure, but I don't think you can plug the icp back in while its running. Any whooo... Are you able to monitor the IPR DC hen the condition occurs. Just covering all bases here... We have good fuel pressure?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Im using a snap-on modis. It will read codes and live data. Yes they are in sync. I also checked for hpo leak none found. checked for debris in IPR nothing there but I had a known good IPR installed it no change. Injectors are good they pass buzz test look good on lab scope and pass cylinder cut-out. All this has been done with ICP unplugged and truck running. But when I plug the ICP in the truck dies like turning off the key.
Back up a second....
What year is the known good IPR valve from. The early and late IPR's are not interchangeable. I know this first hand. Had a 05 good valve I swapped into a 03 that would only make 1500psi when running and when I tried to start the 03 with the 05 valve I got nothing no start at all. Also if plugging in the ICP shuts the truck off then there is a short. Maybe a bad new sensor or the pigtail is wired wrong?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
Back up a second....
What year is the known good IPR valve from. The early and late IPR's are not interchangeable. I know this first hand. Had a 05 good valve I swapped into a 03 that would only make 1500psi when running and when I tried to start the 03 with the 05 valve I got nothing no start at all. Also if plugging in the ICP shuts the truck off then there is a short. Maybe a bad new sensor or the pigtail is wired wrong?
Thats where I was gonna go next. The rash of "bad out of the box" parts seems to be getting worse.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The IPR is for a 04 truck. It was purchased new by a friend and he didn't need it. According to Alldata I do have to pigtail wired correctly. Why would you not be able to plug the ICP in while the truck is running? Did check connunity from ICP pigtail to PCM no wires open and none shorted to any other wires or ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.