Yet another crank but no start... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another crank but no start...

Seems like the forums are full of these but here is another. '06 250 with 6.0 that has about 145k and will turn over but will not crank. I noticed a few hiccups over the past week or so but didnt think much about them until the truck would not start. When idling it would occasionally surge, quickly jumping up 50-100 RPM and dropping right back down to a normal idle. The surge would not last more than 1/2 a second or so. The day before the no start happened I was leaving a parking lot and it shut off when I let it go back to idle. It started right back up and did fine for the rest of the day. I have also noticed a couple of time over the past month or so I would have to crank the engine a bit longer than normal before it would fire. Just over a week ago I did an EGR delete and oil cooler replacement, with the exception of the few hiccups above it ran fine for close to 1000 miles - I did the work Saturday and had to drive it on a trip for work so I racked up the miles pretty quickly. A few days before I did the delete and cooler I tuned with an SCT and put the performance tune on it. Most of my trip were highway miles - 65-70MPH - and I was only getting about 13 MPG, that seemed a little low but since I had recently put the tune on it I was not sure if it would be normal.

Anyway, on to the troubleshooting. I checked the inertia switch in the passenger kick panel. I pulled the top fuel filter cap off and KOEO fuel started dumping out of it. I unplugged the ICP and no love. I read somewhere about unplugging the EBP and cooling fans - unplugged them and nothing. Using a ScanGuage II I had ~11v at the power and logic side of the FICM and ~47.5v on the output of the FICM. I ordered an AutoEnginuity kit the other day and it came in tonight. I did a buzz test, all 8 buzzed and then I heard each one clicking individually - one sounded a bit different than the others but they all buzzed and clicked. Cranking the engine I had ~380 psi on the high pressure oil side. I commanded the IPR to 0% ~380 psi, commanded the IPR to 100% ~380 psi. I have not had a chance to put air pressure into the system yet but I should be able to in the next day or so and listen for a difference in air as I cycle the IPR.

Logic tells me I either have a bad IPR that is not responding to commands and is stuck at/near full bypass or I have a leak before the IPR - since it goes straight into the HPOP is that even possible? If it was something like a HPO leak it seems like the pressures would at least change a little when I changed commands on the IPR right? When I would stop turning the engine over the pressure would not immediately drop back to 0 (actually the ICP was reading about 4.5 psi). It would take it several seconds for the pressure to drop back down. If it was a high pressure leak that was bad enough for the engine to not start it would immediately drop to 0 after I stopped cranking the engine wouldnt it?

Sorry for the long post but I am looking for opinions and I want to make sure I give as much detail as I can about the truck and what I have done so far...

BTW - from the 15 minutes or so I messed with the AE software I really like it. It would give me readings and options that a Snap On Solus would not give and certainly more than my beloved ScanGauge II would give me.

It was a challenge to get it on this trailer!

468848_583376521695065_1988133527_o by BrianSnelgrove, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM

I called two different dealers in the area to get a price and availability on an IPR. One dealer told me $266 but they did not have one in stock, should be available the next day. The other Dealer told me $335 and they had it in stock - the guy working the phone asked me if it was a diesel, what IPR meant, and then put me on hold while he asked someone else what I was talking about. I dont think I will be getting my part from the second dealer!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had a simaler problem with my 03 check the pig tail for the ipr if the metal clip isnt latched it can work its way loose
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

New IPR = running truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.