Blown Head Gasket??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Blown Head Gasket???

Does this sound like a blown head gasket? I have a 2003 6.0 with 92000 miles. It seems like it just isn't running as smooth as it should. (Last 400 miles) Kinda like missing a plug like a plugged motor would do. Also after starting cold both the engine and tranny temp guages go to normal temp but shortly thereafter the tranhy temp toes to C and the check guage lite comes on. Then the guage returns to normal and the lite goes off. Any ideas from the experts??
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Banned

does not sound like a blown head gasket at all.....

The code will be the key to what is going on. You need to get that to start diaging it....
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the trans temp sensor is controlled by a sensor mounted in the valve body of the trans. I have had several of these that when they warm up the sensor becomes faulty and either goes full hot or full cold. Also suggest replacing the wiring harness while you are in there to prevent any future problems. As far as your engine problem, this will have no effect on the operation of your motor. Being an 03 with that many miles on it, it is most likely an injector. But beware that these injector harnesses would also chaff causing and electrical problem. You need to pull codes and see what is stored in your pcm
Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool Marc, Silverbullet...Thanks

Marc, Silverbullet,
Thanks for the information. Just returned from my dealer and they diagnosed the truck and said that a previous recall that had been performed by another dealer had not been completed....Their repair report states...

Engine runs rough....Diesel diag. code P0272, P0401, P0676, P02269. Glow plug test Power balance test. Ck VGT Learn Cycles. none present. Performed recall calibration for 06E17. Not completed previously at another dealer. Performed VGT learn cycles. Rd tested. OK.

As for the Tranny Temp gauage, they said I needed to bring it in when it is doing it. Sending unit and gauge all checked out ok. (?)

The truck does seem to have better pick up and seems to be running ok.

In your expert opinions, does all this make sense??? I appreciate your thoughts.

Ralph
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If your truck is running better....great. I would have been more concerned about the #4 cyl balance code and the glow plug circuit code. Also, if your trans temp was out of range it would of set a code, but i will bet the diesel tech reprogrammed the truck and erased all codes before the trans tech got it. He should have looked further into the previous stated codes because they have nothing to due with the recall. He could have flagged diag and parts replacement but did neither, why? Does he not want the work? He also did not address the water in fuel condition. There is an updated water in fuel module from ford witch eliminated the heater from the module because it was causing the massive module failures experience thru 2005.5 models. Drive it til it starts messing up again. Sorry to say it but it sounds like the typical crap that dealerships are putting there customers through with these truck and is the reason I finally gave up and left.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

loosing coolant?

my truck is a 2004 f-350. after installing the superchips micro tuner (high performance tune) i drove it about 10 miles just to try it out. i jumped on the throttle a couple of times but did not stay in it for more than 5 seconds each time. when i returned home the truck was spitting coolant. im hoping its not a head gasget. the truck is still under warrenty but im reluctant to return it to the dealer because ive read that even though you can put the truck back to stock the dealer can still find out that its been programed. also ive installed a 4 inch tubo back exhaust and opened the coverter. not sure if they will viod my warrenty. i hope someone will give me some advice on this as i am new to diesel and computers and not sure what i should do next
Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbowhunter View Post
my truck is a 2004 f-350. after installing the superchips micro tuner (high performance tune) i drove it about 10 miles just to try it out. i jumped on the throttle a couple of times but did not stay in it for more than 5 seconds each time. when i returned home the truck was spitting coolant. im hoping its not a head gasget. the truck is still under warrenty but im reluctant to return it to the dealer because ive read that even though you can put the truck back to stock the dealer can still find out that its been programed. also ive installed a 4 inch tubo back exhaust and opened the coverter. not sure if they will viod my warrenty. i hope someone will give me some advice on this as i am new to diesel and computers and not sure what i should do next
My friend has an '04, with the edge Juice w/ attitude, cat. back exhaust. he has had it in many times for warranty issues, and they have never said anything about the mods, only to put it back to stock when its in for service. It depends (from what i hear) what dealership you take it to, so if you live in CO. take it to Stevinsons Golden Ford. That year that you have, and '03 had a lot of problems with headgaskets, so I would say that if you did blow a HG, they won't say a word, but I'm not a Ford mechanic either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.