Questions: Regarding HPOP Problems....... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Questions: Regarding HPOP Problems.......

Ok, so hear is the deal; Recently I took my 2003 excursion into the dealer because it was bucking under load when pulling hills and at would have a long crank to start sometimes and an surge of +- 50 rpm at idle. They ended up installing a brand new IPR and a new Pigtail for my ICP that is suppose to be new according to the dealer. The dealer didn't replace the ICP because they said it looked new. After that they said I have pressures within spec but on the low end. On my insight I'm seeing about 3500 psi when pinning it and 630 at idle and 800-1000 cruising down the road and my FCIM and ICP volts are within range.

Today I headed out on the flat road and brought it up to about 75mph when it started bucking again so i backed off and cruised at 60mph and all was fine. On the way back I couldn't reproduce the same thing.

Right now I'm either going to take it back for a HPOP and a leak test but I'm wondering if there could have been a possible air bubble in the line??

So could it be a possible air bubble? I don't want to test my theory by running it up the hills and ending up stranded in no-cell range land with no shoulder to pull off on.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM

6.0? or 7.3?

This is a direction to go for the 6.0
Do you have any data or have a way to see any data when it is bucking? it is possable that its surging? like trying to take off? as if the turbo is sticking? just an idea.
i wouldnt be thinking HPOP dude in the early modle's the pump doesnt really go bad it goes BOOM first, until its updated one is installed and that one doesnt really give an issue's from what i understand(never heard of the updated one being replaced), if there was a leaking in the high pressure side your IPR % would be really high(no higher then 85%) if its about 60% i would say its tryign to compinsate for a leak, and that leak would be there at ALL times, check fuel pressure dude, static and dynamic, so under heavy load make sure it doesnt go under 45 PSI, if it is, get the blue spring upgrade, if its all ready installed look at the FCM on the side of the frame(drivers side inside), basicly where im going with this dude is check everything, dont assume anything with thes engines, you will drive yourself nuts with weird issues when your just guessing, you need to have the evedence to prove thats the issue, this is why i almost never have come backs(no ones perfect xD).

Anyways man i hope things work for for ya!

Last edited by mebob2001; 05-20-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Sorry about that it is a 2003 6.0 Excursion. When this happens my numbers all look good. FICM, IPC, HPOP Pressure.....The Boost does fall during this so its not a surge its a loss in power.

Can I check the IPR with the edge insight or do I need a scan guage?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndekens View Post
Sorry about that it is a 2003 6.0 Excursion. When this happens my numbers all look good. FICM, IPC, HPOP Pressure.....The Boost does fall during this so its not a surge its a loss in power.

Can I check the IPR with the edge insight or do I need a scan guage?

Well i have no idea if the edge insight can check that or not, i would assume so if u get your ICP readings, and all the other PID's.

When it starts "bucking" is it when your foot is into the pedal? or just coasting? this is why im leaning towards fuel pressure if it all of a sudden drops in fuel pressure ofc your power will drop bigtime, when u let off for a second she builds pressure again and she's fine, check fuel pressure for sure man, you might need the blue spring upgrade, i just did it on my uncles truck its a 2005, he couldnt beleave how well she worked up hill now under hard load, a 70$ part and 30 min of work made him love his 6.0 again, which to me i love the 6.0 as well, yes it has some issues just fix them and the engine goes for AGES! one customer is at 682k Km's heads have never bin off its an early 2005, he watches his temps and replaced the oil cooler with updated one a long time ago.

And accully i just saw "boost does fall when this happens" and its clued in to me, if there isnt enuff fuel being put into the cylinders your boost usally will drop, so check that fuel pressure! on the secondary fuel filter housing on the from you will see the return line with this funny looking cap with 4 allen headed bolts holding the cap on right beside the upper rad hose/thermostat housing, just towards the front of the engine beside that cap you will see a plug u can remove thats where you test fuel pressure! and remember check at idle, then go for a drive watching the gauge if it drops bellow 40 i think is what ford says in my eyes if it drops bellow 47 install the blue spring then recheck it should be 70-75, if its higher then 75 look for a kinked return line or other issue with the return system!

Last edited by mebob2001; 05-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.