It puked....where to start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It puked....where to start?

So I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just want a fresh opinion. First, some background. Truck is a 2006 F250, all stock except a straight pipe. Two weekend ago I pulled a car hauler (just a single car) that I figure was about 6k. All seemed fine, and my deltas were a little high but I figured they were ok since I was towing a pretty big load.

Well, ever since, my deltas have been getting increasingly worse, and tonight it got bad! I saw oil temps of 230F and my coolant was at 192-194. This was at 70 unloaded on the freeway. Pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and was not happy to see white residue all around the cap on the degas bottle. My question is this: I was planning a flush/EGR delete/oil cooler job sometime soon anyway. Do I just do all that this weekend, or do I take it in to a shop and see if they can determine if it's the EGR cooler, the head gaskets, or both?? The oil cooler/EGR delete I can handle, but head gaskets are not something I am equipped to do in my driveway right now.

Just don't want to waste time doing all that work only to find the head gaskets are bad, with the possibility of the heads themselves needing to be replaced. Is there ANY sure way to rule out the head gaskets, or is it just a matter of doing the delete and oil cooler and seeing if it keeps puking?

Biggest problem for me at this stage is that all of my tools are at work(Chevy dealer) and I have to guess at what I need to bring home anyway. This weekend being a holiday I know I can knock out the delete and oil cooler if that's the problem, but I'd like to know for sure before I order all that stuff.

Thanks in advance!

FWIW, planning on an IPR delete kit using the blockoff plate, and flushing to replace with Rotella Ultra ELC if O'Reilly can get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Look at the videos under the "Learning about the EGR cooler" section.
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=262
Old 05-19-2013, 05:31 PM

I get how the system works, I'm just trying to rule out the head gaskets. I know my deltas are telling me the oil cooler is shot, and I'm ASSUMING the EGR cooler is the problem. I should also note that aside from the puking today, the truck has never puked before, nor has it lost a drop of coolant since the day I bought it two years ago. I suppose it's also possible that it's merely a bad cap, and that I can replace that with the cooler and delete and be good to go.

Going to run through the BulletProof Diesel "water bottle" test tomorrow at the shop and see where that gets me. Unfortunately, this is my only vehicle, so it has to be driven for the time being, I'm just going to take it really easy. I know everyone will say to stop driving it, but that's just not an option at this point. I'll post up what happens tomorrow, and then I'll either be doing the work this weekend, or taking it to Hallas to have it studded with new gaskets.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM

Well it seems the water bottle test isn't exactly conclusive. Drove the truck to work this morning and set up the test. Started the truck up and it started pulling water out of the bottle, so I put more water in it. Got a few bubbles to start showing, so I unplugged the VGT solenoid. Bubbles seemed to stop, so I plugged it back in, bubbles didn't come back right away, but then started again. It just seems really erratic, I also noticed that if I give it some throttle, the bubbles increase quite a bit, but are still kind of erratic. Going to see if the diesel tech at the Ford dealer next door will give me a few minutes to pick his brain, maybe see if he'll take a look at it for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Update:

Yesterday I put a pressure tester on the engine after it sat all day. Fired it up and let it run for about 20 minutes. I got no excessive pressure to build, maybe 1-2 psi in that time. Based on this I went ahead and ordered my new oil cooler and EGR delete from IPR, and got a Dieselsite coolant filter coming. I figure I know the cooler is shot, and doing the delete may save my head gaskets if they aren't already blown. The work needs to be done anyway, I'll just wait and see if this corrects the issues with puking. If not, I'll be taking the truck in to get studded, which I want to do anyway, just can't afford to do it all right now.

Also, with the EGR delete, I just got the blockoff plate, not the up-pipe. The truck is not tuned, and won't be for a while yet, I'm just gonna deal with the CEL from the delete. Is there any problem running the block off plate other than it retains the little scoop in the up-pipe? Like I said, truck is stock, so I'm thinking it's not gonna be a big problem for me right now, I can always add the pipe later if I decide I need it. Deiselsite seems to think that the scoop is a minimal restriction on stock to lightly modified trucks, and that switching to a solid up-pipe puts more stress on the exhaust and turbo. Just curious. We'll be tearing into it Friday night starting with the flushing process if I can find the stuff to do that. Wish me luck!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Good luck! My wife's ex started puking yesterday. Yay me!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Thanks, I'm hopeful that it will go well. No stranger to turning a wrench, my worst problem at this point will be remembering all the tools I need to bring home from work.

And why is an ELC coolant so bleeping hard to find??? I've checked at O'Reilly, Autozone,, a Peterbilt dealer, and a Mack dealer. NO dice!! Mack dealer had 50/50 Rotella ELC but no concentrate and wouldn't order it. Gonna check NAPA tomorrow AM and see if they'll order me something. Really want to use the Rotella, but I'll take what I can get at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.