Black Smoke Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black Smoke Help

I need some help trying to figure out whats going on here...

I noticed my truck pouring black smoke from a stop sign acceleration. I know that may not seem bad, but its never done it before. There was no noticeable difference in power, just a ton of smoke. I had newer oil with about 1k miles on it, along with both fuel filters. I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it and it didnt stop the smoke. I have an edge juice with attitude that I keep in stock about 99% of the time. It is showing no codes at all. Its also got a KN air intake, and magnaflo exhaust.

It only seems to smoke when the boost PSI gets up to 4-5 from a stop and then seems to fade off when I hit crusing speed. Im kinda leaning to either the turbo is going out or one or more injectors failing.... anyone have any ideas, thoughts or ways to tell which one it is? or am I way off?

Its a 2004, 6.0 with 169K

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You could pull your turbo and clean up the vanes. Sometimes sticking vanes or a sticking unison ring can cause it to not push enough air to clean it up. It's a cheap easy thing to try. While you have it if make sure it free spins and the vgt actuator moves freely.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Hey, thanks its worth a shot. What do you clean the vanes with? Can you tell by just looking if they are clogged?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Also, I forgot to ad that when I was stopped at a light, the truck surged forward and the RPMs went up a bit and then settled back down.... not sure if its related or not...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Serving Our Country!

I just use 3M abrasive discs with a drill to clean mine off. then put a nice coat of anti-seize on there and slap her back together. As far as the jump in RPMs, not sure what caused that since you don't have any DTCs. I'm not saying its not related, but I can't say that it is either.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxusmc View Post
I just use 3M abrasive discs with a drill to clean mine off. then put a nice coat of anti-seize on there and slap her back together. As far as the jump in RPMs, not sure what caused that since you don't have any DTCs. I'm not saying its not related, but I can't say that it is either.
I used the same thing, you kind find a kit at Walmart that has the small scuff pads and bit. It's hard to say if it's related or not.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trujillo417 View Post
Hey, thanks its worth a shot. What do you clean the vanes with? Can you tell by just looking if they are clogged?
You can't tell just by looking at it, it's all going to look like it's coated in soot. You can rotate the unison ring after you have it split open and vgt actuator out to see if it binds at all. Once you have it open that far you might as well clean it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.