White exhaust smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White exhaust smoke

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 f350 6.0 that's blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. Let me give you a little info, truck is completely stock minus a 4" mbrp exhaust. So anyway Saturday I was doing rear driveshaft u joints, got all of that done Saturday afternoon went on a 20 mile trip had it parked for 2 hours or so and left, on my drive home I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust so I babied it home just in case and look up an egr delete for it. Monday afternoon I started it and drove to work (5 miles approx) and had no white smoke on start up and a little bit when I crossed an intersection. I was not able to replicate anything for white smoke to come out the exhaust, tried babying it, getting on it, no smoke at idle.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I was pretty set on it being the egr. ECT and EOT are within 6 to 8 degrees of eachother. When it sat from Saturday to Sunday, would that cause it to smoke when I drove it on Sunday? And why?

All help is appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

auto part stores sell these little chemical dip sticks that test for exhaust gases in coolant. would be a good place to start. also a headgasket pressure test would be cheap DIY. on the pressure test...

i read most should be around 11psi driving and if it gets above 16 psi bad juju.
also make sure the psi doesn't jump really fast. if its a slow rise over some time own road your good.

the egr cooler fails because of 3 things...
1. clogged
2. ruptured
3. clogged oil cooler can cause reason 1+ 2. you need to find a good long hill and romp on it in 3rd to check your temps again.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At the same time I also have a feeling it is a injector, when at idle it feels like it misfires every so often and at low RPMs if feels like its sputtering up untill about 1600 RPM. But I dont think thats it because its not throwing a DTC, the only code it is throwing is 0677 which is glowplug 7. Every once in a while it'll throw up code 0401 which is egr insufficient flow, I delete it and nothing changes the way it drives or anything. The code wont come back for about a week or longer. I clean it several times a month, and the egr valve is only about a year old.

Ive had the truck up to temp and hammered it going up a hill then down and hammer it up another hill and wot for about 5 seconds and the temps doesn't differ more then 10 degrees of each other.

Ill try and get a pressure test going soon.

At this point I don't have any leads on what the problem is yet, anymore advice or opinions will be appreciated!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

White smoke can be either coolant from a blown EGR cooler or else too much fuel.

White smoke in the exhaust is not from blown headgaskets, although if it is from a blown EGR cooler, the result will eventually be blown headgaskets.

I think you said you have deleted the EGR. If that is the case, then you must have a bad FICM or a hanging injector.

Start with the basics. Oil in coolant? coolant in oil? using oil? using coolant?

Have your batteries load tested. Fully charge the batteries. Test the FICM.

Smell the exhaust when it is white. Is it coolant smell or diesel smell?

Do a power balance test when cold. Do an injector buzz test.

MikeB
Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No i do not have a egr delete I was thinking it was blown so that was my first thought of what needed to be changed. I just changed the oil and it was clean, no trace of coolant. The coolant looks clean as well, I have not checked yet to see if either the coolant or oil level is low. If it was a bad injector a code will throw up correct? The only codes that have came up since I have owned my truck are P0677, P1000, P0046, and P132B. Those are all at different points at time, the previous owner installed a smoke switch like a moron and i didnt see the point in it because it didnt smoke lol so I set it back to stock wiring, and codes P0046 and P132b have never came back.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
No i do not have a egr delete I was thinking it was blown so that was my first thought of what needed to be changed. I just changed the oil and it was clean, no trace of coolant. The coolant looks clean as well, I have not checked yet to see if either the coolant or oil level is low. If it was a bad injector a code will throw up correct? The only codes that have came up since I have owned my truck are P0677, P1000, P0046, and P132B. Those are all at different points at time, the previous owner installed a smoke switch like a moron and i didnt see the point in it because it didnt smoke lol so I set it back to stock wiring, and codes P0046 and P132b have never came back.

Any updates on this?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well from what I can tell is that I have injectors going bad, coolant level hasn't gone down since my first post and it's not puking so it's narrowed down to injectors. I have a whole list of upgrades that are gunna happen next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.