About to go Dodge! 6.0 Arrgghhh!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to go Dodge! 6.0 Arrgghhh!!

I have just about had it. I am new to the site, a buddy introduced me and what a great place. Hopefully someone can help me or I swear I am going to go Dodge Cummins this Saturday.

04 6.0 6 SP 4 WD ....Incidents of poor power, excessive turbo lag, poor fuel economy and when driving next to concrete divider on the interstate, the echo from turbo sounds "funny" or abnormal. This is somewhat sporadic but becoming more prevelant. Times the truck can't even get out of its own way. Anyone else? Going to the dealer (Again) this Sat. Truck has 45K miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org! I'm going to bump this to see if one of the Techs or Marc can give you some ideas. It's probably something simple because trust me - that 'aint the way it SHOULD be running. Lets see what they have to say.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Has all the regular maintenance been done...specifically filters..especially fuel and air.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:49 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Conservative and Proud

Bump!

And Welcome!!!!!

hopefully someone can assist you to keep you from crossing over!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Banned

without the truck here i cant say for sure, but it sounds like either an egr problem or more likeley a turbo problerm. if the dealer you had been dealing with isnt taking care of the problem, i would reccomend trying a different one!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the hospitality. Whe I first bought truck in Mar 04 I was really impressed with it performance and power (Had a lot of affiliation with diesel powered tactical vehicles and mechanically savvy as a bogger, puller or racer in my free time ) I am also from a farm so we had diesel powered trucks and equipment there too. The 6.0 is like nothing I have ever worked on though (VVT, high pressure fuel etc...)

The truck has been in several times for similar type complaints where it appears resolved but the problem eventually returns (performance/driveability issues). They (dealership) tells me the egr was problematic and had been replaced. and then of course there's the obligatory reflash so you never know what you'll get when you leave the dealership. (performance/or economy as generally one or the other changes after a reflash).

The filters are good (the water indicator still comes on every now and then but I have drained the system regularly). I get fuel at different places to see if that is the culprit and that hasn't helped either. The crummy thing is the problem is sporadic. Sometimes more pronounced than other times however, perfomance is definitely not the same as when new. I am thinking performance should actually have increases as everything "seasons" (tolerances, less friction etc..). 45K she should be broken in and running great. Thanks for your insights!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to trhland
sounds like a lemon!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdiesel View Post
Thanks for the hospitality. Whe I first bought truck in Mar 04 I was really impressed with it performance and power (Had a lot of affiliation with diesel powered tactical vehicles and mechanically savvy as a bogger, puller or racer in my free time ) I am also from a farm so we had diesel powered trucks and equipment there too. The 6.0 is like nothing I have ever worked on though (VVT, high pressure fuel etc...)

The truck has been in several times for similar type complaints where it appears resolved but the problem eventually returns (performance/driveability issues). They (dealership) tells me the egr was problematic and had been replaced. and then of course there's the obligatory reflash so you never know what you'll get when you leave the dealership. (performance/or economy as generally one or the other changes after a reflash).

The filters are good (the water indicator still comes on every now and then but I have drained the system regularly). I get fuel at different places to see if that is the culprit and that hasn't helped either. The crummy thing is the problem is sporadic. Sometimes more pronounced than other times however, perfomance is definitely not the same as when new. I am thinking performance should actually have increases as everything "seasons" (tolerances, less friction etc..). 45K she should be broken in and running great. Thanks for your insights!

I had this same problem on my '03 6.0. They ended up putting an '05 turbo on it. When this would happen, I would have to pull over and shut the truck off. When I restart it, It would run fine. Until one time it started making a whistling noise. They said the turbo fins that open and close where getting stuck.

Last edited by Standman; 09-29-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.