help!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help!?

hello powerstroke.org im currently having problems with my 2006 6.0 and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction thank you in advance.

About a month ago. i started "building" the truck .

190cc injectors
powermax turbo
58v ficm IDP
IDP custom tunes
Head Studs
new oil cooler
Regulated return
air dog 2

my problem began when i would drive to work about 20 miles . no hard driving just cruising on the highway . when i would pull into the parking lot after driving those 20 miles the truck had a rough idle it did this for 2 weeks last friday i went to leave work and went to crank it over and nothing . i was getting the proper psi on my regulated return so i tried to crank again no longer then 15 sec each time and it started up . smooth idle everything . about half way home from work i noticed my icp voltage . was staying at 4.5 to 4.7v just cruising down the highway . and i was getting a loss of power . when i pulled into my driveway the rough idle was 2x worse and i shut it off before it stalled . i cycled the key to check my fuel pressure again on the return and it still checked out . tried to crank and now it will not start at all . i have not checked my icp pressure yet when cranking and will do that when i get home from work . ficm is getting 48v through my cts . im told that thats the max reading for the monitor thats why it doesnt show more .

i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue ? or if there is anything i can do to narrow down the problem once again thank you for any input

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unplug ICP and see if it goes away, PCM will sub in values when its unplugged.

Look for oil in the connector.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hopefully your truck is newer that 2004.5 and your icp is mounted on the passenger side valve cover so it can be unplugged easily, if not you got some work to do and might as well change your ICP if your that far into it anyways because its under the turbo on the HPOP cover.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Semper Fi

I've seen 48.5v on my CTS.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my icp sensor is on the valve cover . i unplugged it and checked for oil . its dry no sign of oil.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when attempting to start the truck this morning it actually started then shuts off instantly . i read my injector control pressure pid on my cts . it spikes around 1550 then dies out instantly .

Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Did it throw a code? It should have if the reading was at an unexpected level for a few seconds or more. What was the IPR doing at the same time? As previously stated, unplug it and if it starts consistently and runs at low power levels, your sensor is bad or you have a wiring issue since 4.7v is max pressure.

What happens when you put the tune back to stock? Do the same test on the stock tune. Who knows, maybe the tune is corrupt, but usually the voltage is correct.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there are no codes thrown . can i check the ipr from my insite? i took the tune off and tried to start it . still not staying running like i said it immediately dies out .

Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when i attempt to start it with the icp unplug . it still doesnt start . but it is throwing fuel into the cylinder now because theres alot of white smoke coming out my stacks

Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
there are no codes thrown . can i check the ipr from my insite? i took the tune off and tried to start it . still not staying running like i said it immediately dies out .
You can see if the IPR is commanded correctly, not that it is working correctly. However, if your ICP was at 4.7v when it shouldn't have been, the IPR was either 85%ish (the truck would run like was stuck WOT) or the volts are wrong from a short. If the circuit to the PCM was reading 4.7v, the IPR would be opening to try and reduce the ICP to normal levels at cruise (about 1100psi or 1.3v(ish). If that was happening during start, the truck would try to start and then quit due to low HPO pressure (IPR opening). Therein lies the problem, you probably have a shorted wire so even if you unplug the sensor, it is still registering 4.7v to the PCM.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-13-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.