new injectors, blown copper ring, now no boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new injectors, blown copper ring, now no boost

2005 Ford F350 6.0. New STC fitting 2 months ago, EGR Delete kit, new oil cooler as well. Yesterday I put in 3 new injectors and got the truck running. An hour later i blow one of the copper rings and lower seal on my number 6 injector.

Alot of fuel drained into cylinder, nearly causing a hydro lock. I get towed back to town, and with a 5 speed i let the engine turn over on the way back to town to get fuel out of the cylinder. I tear apart and fix again, and Although it blew a lot of grey smoke from all the diesel fuel that was in my exhaust, it ran like a raped ape. I drove it about 15 miles and had good boost pressure. This morning I started up the truck and there was no boost. I drove it back to the shop took off all the plumbing for the turbo and inspected it. All was good. I also unhooked my batteries for 60 minutes and let it reset its computer. I put it back together started up and had good boost pressure all the way to Indianola (20 miles). I let it idle for 10 minutes and then drove back and no boost pressure. All the plumbing for the intake is still sealed and I am lost at this point. I have 50 psi fuel pressure while underload on road. No black smoke. No power. New Fuel Filter. Tried reseting my computer and that didn't do anything either. Any suggestions?

I wonder if all of the raw diesel fuel that went into the exhaust from the blown seal and hydro lock may have sooted the vgt up? Also, could the fuel system have been damaged due to the pressure from the #6 cylinder going back into the fuel system?

Last edited by goatmountaineer; 05-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can you cycle the VGT open and closed with scan tool? If not I would suspect a stuck unison ring.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

No boost the morning after... wiring to turbo or stuck unison ring. It could be other problems, but look only at the things you touched. Did you loose a boot or miss a clamp?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had 4 hours to burn so I took my turbo off last night. I had the new downpipe to put on anyways. I took it apart and cleaned it up, put it back together, and the unison ring isn't stuck or seized.

I hated doing it as I could here my dad yelling at me when I was 16 again, but I revved it up to 3 grand. I barely got 3000 rpm out of it like it is starving for fuel. I have good fuel pressure under mechanical gauge and new filters.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could possibly have a compression leak into the fuel system again, it just hasn't gotten bad enough to push fuel into the cylinder yet.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Revving to 3k in Park will not really show any boost, you need some load. However, it should easily rev to the rev limiter and it isn't hurting it a bit by doing it. Your going to have to start watching the monitor. Since it all seems related it might be something like the EBP or MAF sensors, but you should still get RPM in park. So back to fuel... only 3 things control fuel: FICM, ICP/IPR, and pump pressure, which you say is good. Check the FICM voltage. If you can, check if the injectors buzz and fire properly. Check ICP/IPR, is there enough HPO to feed the engine? Do a contribution/balance test. As previously mentioned, you may have to go back to the injector installation job to make sure the hold-downs were clear of oil before you torqued them back in.

One last thing, reload the stock tune or a tune you know is good.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked my filter housing last night with my wife cranking the engine and no bubbles present. One thing that i noted was that the fuel level in the housing was only half full (I ensured it was full two days ago when i put on a new filter). This is after i broke the square drive polymer cap and had to cold chisel it clockwise...more money....and the spring and plastic also came out in 3 pieces...more money. anyways, no bubbles during the 30 seconds of cranking (i pulled my FICM and fuel pump fuses so she wouldn't run me over). i also pulled my EBT off the tube, cleaned it up and put it back on. no change. Tube was clear as i could blow air threw it and it came out the exhaust pipe.

i finally broke down and bought a code reader (Actron 9185 from Autozone. Manager told me i could bring it back if it didn't have the features in it that wanted....it doesn't so i am going to get the cheaper ScanGauge II). But my codes after deleting them and running them again are:

p1102
p0113
p0470
p1000

any more insight?

I really miss my underpowered Chevy 6.5 at this point as it was pretty easy to work on. I am a pretty good wrench but grasping all the computer stuff is very tasking.

Last edited by goatmountaineer; 05-16-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks Frank....it never donned on me to check the oil in the hold downs....it just baffles me that it had fuel and boost, then it didn't, then it did, then it didn't. it sounds better then it ever has since i bought it, but it is starved for power (Fuel and boost) above an idle. this stupid actron 9185 doesn't ready the pressures i want, so i am going to take it back to Autozone and get the Scangauge II. at least i will be able to see the relevent PSI's, volts as well as the codes for my truck.

Last edited by goatmountaineer; 05-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it was the exhaust back pressure sensor.

after seeing a video clip about them on YouTube I decided to buy a scangauge2 with x guages to help me diagnose my problem.initially I was very frustrated because the scangauge cannot read my codes but my other scanner could. However I thought I would give it a whirl before I returned it to Autozone.I programmed in about a dozen or so extra gauges that the device was capable of to include VGT, boost, mass fuel desired,VFD,exhaust back pressure, manifold air temperature and intake air two, FICM Main power, FICM logic power, as well as a few others.

after taking an hour to put those codes in the scan gauge based on their website, I plugged in the scangauge and immediately realized that my VGT was stuck at 14, my EBP was stuck at 52.6 and my MAT was stuck at -40. after doing a bit more research I decided I was sick of troubleshooting and was going to be spend my last hundred dollars on a ebp sensor. 20 minutes later my Vgt and my ebp are no longer stuck and I am cruising down the the Roadway with plenty of power and boost.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Darn EBP sensors! Stuck at max reading will certainly screw up the fuel delivery and VGTpositions. Often it is a blocked tube that causes bsd readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.