turbo putt putt sound with code p0046 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo putt putt sound with code p0046

hey guys I need help asap,, I was riding home from work today,, just driving normal, and all the sudden, I get a loud putt, putt sound , I took it easy made it home, ran the dtcs with my sct and got code p0046, which is a vgt code, I noticed I still had my whistle, also I noticed on the vgt connector was broken a little but still connected, now I unplugged the vgt and started the truck back up and it still made the putt putt sound, I remove the air filter from the turbo and the putt putt sound is coming from the turbo or at least I think it is. im so sick of this damn truck, so much work has already been done to it ,,, seems like it's in the shop every month, my question is, with the code p0046 and the putt putt sound (very loud) from the turbo, did my turbo go out,, all of this happened with no warning., I hope the broken connectors are the problem, but it's never that simple, I probably ruined the whole turbo, is it safe to drive it to my tech or do I need to have it towed,, the engine in this truck was rebuilt 9500 miles ago, arp head studs egr delete, straight piped, new oil cooler, almost everything under hood is brand new, every time I turn around it's something, I will say this much I wish I never bought this truck, and I will never buy another one, i am getting no black smoke like you normally get when the turbo is not boosting, it is boosting some, but that damn putt putt sound, damn i wish you could hear it,almost like its boosting, hope someone could help me out, and this **** always happens on Saturday when i can't get ahold of my tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

update been checking out the truck, this is what I have found the connector at the vgt solenoid is broke off and the plastic connector on the plug is melted away all that remains on the plug is 2 metal prongs, man I hope this is the problem and the only problem, when this happened I only drove my truck for about 2 miles, I inspected the compressor wheel of my turbo and everything spins freely, their I slight up and down play but not much at all,, im just worried that this messed my turbo up, it would be so nice if a new vgt solenoid and connector plug fixes this, but to be honest,, thus far I haven't been that lucky, when it comes to this truck,,, it's like she's not going to stop until everything is brand new, any advice would help out a lot, thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

I bought my latest truck with my eyes wide open. It has been a very good truck to me. If I would have left it stock, I would only be into it for the oil changes and new tires. After modifying it, I am even more happy with owning it. I have GM and Dodge buddies that have had similar problems to those that seem to problems with the mighty 6.0l. I guess I am the other side of the coin.

I don't have a sound clip available, but the turbo definitely sounds different when the vanes are fully open as with a damaged plug. It could sound throaty or make a plopping sound depending on the pipes and muffler. The VGT solenoids are fairly expensive from most dealers, but can be purchased at auction or aftermarket. A good used one is considerably less expensive.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
I bought my latest truck with my eyes wide open. It has been a very good truck to me. If I would have left it stock, I would only be into it for the oil changes and new tires. After modifying it, I am even more happy with owning it. I have GM and Dodge buddies that have had similar problems to those that seem to problems with the mighty 6.0l. I guess I am the other side of the coin.

I don't have a sound clip available, but the turbo definitely sounds different when the vanes are fully open as with a damaged plug. It could sound throaty or make a plopping sound depending on the pipes and muffler. The VGT solenoids are fairly expensive from most dealers, but can be purchased at auction or aftermarket. A good used one is considerably less expensive.
hey frank just wanted to let you know whats going on your the only one that has posted here and gave me advice so thanks very much,,,, I I put a new connector on and my tech swapped vgts with me so that didn't cost me anything I also traced the wires down and found my chaffing so I fixed that ,, the good new is that fixed the that problem, the bad news is shortly after the start up she started skipping, ran the dtcs and code p0269 came upper cylinder no 3 contribution balance, well the funny thing is april 11 we put a new injector in that cylinder from ford, it's at the shop right now, I hope that the new injector is defected and just went bad, jut to let you know some about my truck,,, the motor was rebuilt back in jan. new pistons rings, rod bearings lifters, valve job , new head intake and exhaust gaskets installed with arp head studs, turbo cleaned which is in very good shape egr delete, blue spring upgrade, updated stand pipes truck has a 03 motor so no stc fitting, new radiator new oil cooler, almost everything under the hood, except for 6 injectors is brand new, this truck has been a nightmare for me, and for my tech, I guess she isn't going to stop until everything is brand new, there's not a whole lot left, I just need her to make until next tax time until I can replace the rest of the injectors and put a new fuel pump on her and a new ficm,, that's about all I can think of that's not new, except for the wiring harness, couple sensors aren't new, but once again that's a lot more money, I don't know this truck has kicked me in the @ss and then turned me around and kicked me in the balls ohh yeah she is also straight piped, and im running a mild sct tune, I will let you know how things turn out im sure i'll find out whats wrong with it tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.