Dealer is throwing parts at my truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dealer is throwing parts at my truck

Background: One day I started up my truck coming out of a store, so the truck was warm. It didn't sound exactly right, but nothing alarming. Driving down the road it felt like I had very slow throttle response. Stopped at a light and it wouldn't pull its own weight from a stop. I started to limp over to the curb and the truck stalled. Started it up again and it ran like nothing was wrong. It ran perfect for more than a week. Started it up one morning and it definitely didn't sound right (clanging and chattering). I suspected the FICM and tested the voltage. Sure enough the voltage running was 34 volts (48v normal). So I ordered a new voltage side of the FICM, but it didn't fix the problem.

So here is where it gets incredible. I take it to the dealer and here is how it has gone:
  • Day 1: I need a new Cam position sensor $500+
  • Day 2: I have gasoline in my fuel (no idea how that could happen). Drop and drain fuel tank and flush fuel system: $600+
  • Day 3: Both Batteries are bad (just had them tested 3 weeks prior): $250
  • Day 3: FICM and all 8 injectors are bad. I tell them about the new voltage side, but the computer board could be bad. Tell them to replace the FICM and test the injectors again: $1025
  • Day 4: All 8 injectors still not cycling. Replace injectors: $2875
  • Day 5: running but will stall if they let it fall below 1000 RPM. Tell me the IPR valve is bad. It is only a few months old, I replaced it when I put on a new Turbo, Y-pipe and exhaust. They covered the IPR under warranty
  • Day 6: Still not running right, still working on it, they have not called me back.

I took it to the Ford dealer to avoid throwing parts at it and it seems like that is exactly what they are doing. I could have done that for a lot less money.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like you should take it to someone more reputable.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

you need to run from that dealer as fast as you possibly can!!!! that is what a uncertified ford dealer does to ppl. im really sorry man... find someone who can show you the 6.0 certificates the 6.0's are incredibly complicated and when idiots work on them and can't properly diagnose them....

have you checked fuel pressure/ filters?

also a guy found his fuel pump assembly was clogged about 2 days ago....
open up your filter in your engine (the small) black cap next to oil filter and let your truck prime and see if your cup fills. also the wire harness for the FICM was notorious for rubbing through in some spots. go to FICMREPAIR.COM they have some articles with pics to help.

run from that dealer before you refiance your house they'll help sign the papers for parts money.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get that truck away from that dealer!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Run Forrest run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM

run,run and don't look back,that really sucks they ripping you off that way.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrewer View Post
Background: One day I started up my truck coming out of a store, so the truck was warm. It didn't sound exactly right, but nothing alarming. Driving down the road it felt like I had very slow throttle response. Stopped at a light and it wouldn't pull its own weight from a stop. I started to limp over to the curb and the truck stalled. Started it up again and it ran like nothing was wrong. It ran perfect for more than a week. Started it up one morning and it definitely didn't sound right (clanging and chattering). I suspected the FICM and tested the voltage. Sure enough the voltage running was 34 volts (48v normal). So I ordered a new voltage side of the FICM, but it didn't fix the problem.

So here is where it gets incredible. I take it to the dealer and here is how it has gone:
  • Day 1: I need a new Cam position sensor $500+
  • Day 2: I have gasoline in my fuel (no idea how that could happen). Drop and drain fuel tank and flush fuel system: $600+
  • Day 3: Both Batteries are bad (just had them tested 3 weeks prior): $250
  • Day 3: FICM and all 8 injectors are bad. I tell them about the new voltage side, but the computer board could be bad. Tell them to replace the FICM and test the injectors again: $1025
  • Day 4: All 8 injectors still not cycling. Replace injectors: $2875
  • Day 5: running but will stall if they let it fall below 1000 RPM. Tell me the IPR valve is bad. It is only a few months old, I replaced it when I put on a new Turbo, Y-pipe and exhaust. They covered the IPR under warranty
  • Day 6: Still not running right, still working on it, they have not called me back.

I took it to the Ford dealer to avoid throwing parts at it and it seems like that is exactly what they are doing. I could have done that for a lot less money.

Any thoughts?

Yah your coming up on 6k and they still havent fixed it. Your going to need to raise hell at payment time. This is BS there is no way they are following the pinpoint tests for the issues the truck has. Sounds to me like a truck I just got done with. It had a shorted map sensor that was throwing all of the other sensors off. Truck had the same symptoms as yours. Took me 3 hours to pin it down but in the end the customer was back on the road for under 500. The whole reason you are paying for diagnosis is for them to tell you what will FIX the truck. Not what they think is bad. You need to tell the service writer when he calls back with the next thing thats wrong, if it doesnt fix it your not paying for it. I agree with the above statements...Once you get her back run from that dealer and find somone that knows the 6.0 better.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 AM

i would have said F*** no after the first failed diagnostic attempt. also, tell them you want all of your old parts back (that arent warranty because those will be turned in most likely)
Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

I'm confused, I thought dealers only threw parts at vehicles till they worked and let you foot the bill...

Sorry you had to learn that the hard way, but I wouldn't let them touch your rig anymore.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i bet dobbs woulda done a better job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.