Roller Lifter Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Roller Lifter Problems

Havent seen too many fourms about this but I was watching one of Hewitt's videos about a bad roller lifter caused a guy's engine to need an overhaul at 200k miles. Well I'm almost at 200k miles and I'm beginning to wonder about the health of my roller lifters because I do not have an extra 10+ grand to drop in to my truck in case one does go bad. What are some preventative measures one must take to avoid damage like this? Also signs and symptoms of a bad roller lifter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Anyone have feedback on this issue?
I was just wondering the same thing myself.
From the reading I have done they can fail anywhere from 150k to 300k.
In the comments that were under Hewitt's video he stated that it was not a chronic issue with the engine. But he did say in the video that the owner to very good care of the engine and everything looked like it only had 20k inside.
Another place I was reading said that the 6.0 uses plastic lifter guides which wear and allow the lifter to rotate and then the roller fails.
If anyone has input I would love to hear it. The oil cooler, HPOP, and FICM issues I can live with but this one kind of scares me!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have not seen the lifter rotate in the plastic guides. Every bad lifter I've seen have been at the rear of the engine. I believe what may be happening is when the IPR dumps the oil is hotter and thinner causing lube problems and lifters then fail. Just a guess on my observations.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM

I only read that on one thread somewhere, otherwise the only other theory that I had read was that the pin in the roller was to soft and would wear causing the needle bearings to pile up and stall the roller.
But have you seen a lot of these kind of failures? Is it something I should be worried about? I have about 80,000 mi on a new motor.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM

The biggest killer of lifters that I have found is poor oil maintenance.
The wrong type of oil and change interval for the trucks working environment.

In the fleet everything we had worked under extremely bad conditions for a 6.0. Extended idle times, poor fuel quality and really dirty air. To compensate we reduced our service intervals to even less than the recomended intervals. 450 hrs or about 3000 miles. A little more expensive filter/oil wise but greatly reduced our mechanical repair costs.

Maintenance should be based on the trucks work use and conditions it works under
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM

I hope 450 hours is a miss quote. 3,000 miles is good, but 450 hours at 20MPH would be 9,000 miles which is BAD! Now 45 hours would be really great!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 AM

My truck is in the shop pending $$$ for the tear down but at this point the shop diagnosed my truck as having a lifter failure. They have another complete 6.0 under the bench killed by the same problem. I drove up to Asheville Engines and spoke with his machinist. He stated that the fault with the lifters were actually from the early oem pushrods were just slighty too long causing more than usual pressure / stress on the roller lifter bearings.

Here is something he sent me in an email when I was getting a quote on a engine.

Q: Lifters: Are the lifters OEM? Do you offer an updated version that will not fail after 150k like the OEM lifters do?

A: We use an OEM spec. aftermarket lifter. In my opinion, most lifter failure has to do with two things. 1) owners stretching their oil change intervals primarily due to advertised 7K-15K oil changes by the oil companies. (Change every 5,000!) 2) the original push rods in a 6.0 are all .050 to long. Ford made the change in length prior to any aftermarket companies getting their hands on them so ALL replacement pushrods are the proper length. The problem is that it is common practice by individuals and some engine builders to re-use push rods. 90% of the diesel techs (including Ford) that I talk to have no idea that new ones are shorter because Ford never sent a service bulletin on the change.

Q: Push Rods: Daniel explained to me that the length of the push rods are what cause the premature failure of the lifters so he uses shorter push rods. Does he cut or grind down OEM push rods or use shorter aftermarket rods. If so, same applies, length and brand please.

A: Answered above

btw Rob at Asheville Engines is a very pleasant man to work with. He had his shop opened up on their day off to give me a tour and answer any questions I had. Great team, alot of racing heritage, experience, and OCD. What a thorough and clean product and machine shop.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Every 6.0 head gasket job I do is now getting shorter pushrods. I've been finding more and more pushrods that are getting tweaked and rubbing the head gasket. When you roll them on a flat surface it becomes apparent they are bent. The spec is very small, < .001" It doesn't take much to put them out of spec. A bent pushrod shortens itself and may never cause a problem.

Perhaps I never noticed it before but now it's clear there is something going on. Like stated above there is no literature or publications stating the change or any reasoning. I have talked to the Ford technical hotline about it and they really didn't have a straight answer.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary6.0 View Post
My truck is in the shop pending $$$ for the tear down but at this point the shop diagnosed my truck as having a lifter failure. They have another complete 6.0 under the bench killed by the same problem. I drove up to Asheville Engines and spoke with his machinist. He stated that the fault with the lifters were actually from the early oem pushrods were just slighty too long causing more than usual pressure / stress on the roller lifter bearings.

Here is something he sent me in an email when I was getting a quote on a engine.

Q: Lifters: Are the lifters OEM? Do you offer an updated version that will not fail after 150k like the OEM lifters do?

A: We use an OEM spec. aftermarket lifter. In my opinion, most lifter failure has to do with two things. 1) owners stretching their oil change intervals primarily due to advertised 7K-15K oil changes by the oil companies. (Change every 5,000!) 2) the original push rods in a 6.0 are all .050 to long. Ford made the change in length prior to any aftermarket companies getting their hands on them so ALL replacement pushrods are the proper length. The problem is that it is common practice by individuals and some engine builders to re-use push rods. 90% of the diesel techs (including Ford) that I talk to have no idea that new ones are shorter because Ford never sent a service bulletin on the change.

Q: Push Rods: Daniel explained to me that the length of the push rods are what cause the premature failure of the lifters so he uses shorter push rods. Does he cut or grind down OEM push rods or use shorter aftermarket rods. If so, same applies, length and brand please.

A: Answered above

btw Rob at Asheville Engines is a very pleasant man to work with. He had his shop opened up on their day off to give me a tour and answer any questions I had. Great team, alot of racing heritage, experience, and OCD. What a thorough and clean product and machine shop.
so when you say early... do you mean 03 to ? I have a 07 and from what I understand there are no different in the years specs. I could be wrong though. also also from what I understand the only and best defense with out a tare down and replace is magnets
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
I hope 450 hours is a miss quote. 3,000 miles is good, but 450 hours at 20MPH would be 9,000 miles which is BAD! Now 45 hours would be really great!
Engine hours has absoloutely nothing too do with how fast your turning the engine. It is a measurement of time run.

Our trucks run 10 hrs per shift 45 hrs would only be 4 1/2 days a very expensive interval.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.